1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ralph McQuarrie, dead at age 82

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam Lenhardt, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17249596 http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57390187/star-wars-designer-ralph-mcquarrie-dead-at-82/ Ralph McQuarrie, the conceptual designer who created the look of characters including Darth Vader, Chewbacca and R2-D2 and C-3PO, has died at the age of 82. He won an Academy Award for his work on Cocoon. In a statement, George Lucas said: "His genial contribution, in the form of unequalled production paintings, propelled and inspired all of the cast and crew of the original Star Wars trilogy. When words could not convey my ideas, I could always point to one of Ralph's fabulous illustrations and say, 'do it like this'."

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

A true artist. RIP

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Well-Known Member

Sam Favate
    Very sorry to have learned about this yesterday. His work was brilliant, and not just his Star Wars work. He did a lot of other things that equally showed his skill, style and intellect. He was a very rare talent.

4. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, his paintings were what George Lucas showed to Fox in order to properly show what he wanted to get onscreen. Without those paintings, the movie might never have been made. The man leaves behind an amazing legacy.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

The Original Trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Cocoon, CEO3K, Battlestar Galactica....the list goes on. A great Artist, and from what I've read over the years, a sweet and kind person.