What's new

Raise The Titanic (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

raise.jpeg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Must have been the multiple times it was on a The Movie Channel in my formative years, but this has always been a fun watch for me. Looking forward to this on blu-ray.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Despite its reputation as a far from marvellous picture I'll buy the new issue to compensate for the free-with-newspaper copy I saw a couple of years ago: 4:3, strange faded colours and mediocre sound. One view & then in the bin.

But it will be interesting to see it properly and admire the magnificent surfacing sequence, and remember that it wasn't until Mr Ballard's dives in the 90s that Titanic's split sections were discovered.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I remember this one from way back in the early VHS days. I'll pick it up.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Malcolm Bmoor said:
But it will be interesting to see it properly and admire the magnificent surfacing sequence, and remember that it wasn't until Mr Ballard's dives in the 90s that Titanic's split sections were discovered.
Darn that reality! Why's it always interfering with the movies. :) I have never seen this movie, I'll have to think about it.

John Stockton

Second Unit
This never got a proper DVD release so I am delighted it is coming to BD. I hope the transfer is decent. Looking forward to it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I ordered it even as I have mixed feelings about this film. As an adaptation of Clive Cussler's greatest novel, and which made Dirk Pitt a signature character of popular fiction, the film is a total disaster, capturing none of the suspense/action/tension that made the novel and Cussler's Pitt novels special. They also disgracefully tacked on an underlying dose of 1970s moral equivalence doctrine regarding the Cold War struggle that is nowhere to be found in *any* of Cussler's novels (I'll put it this way; the end of the novel results in a different course of action being taken in the graveyard as opposed to the film. You can guess what I mean there). It's easy to understand why Cussler vowed after this that none of his novels would ever be sold to Hollywood again (though of course he would change his mind and come to regret that a quarter century later, but that's another story).

Despite this trashing of a great novel, I still have to admit as a Titanic buff who first read Cussler's novel because I was a Titanic buff, the movie still is special because of the magnificent for their time special effects that depicts something that in 1980, five years before the discovery of the wreck, we could still have fanciful dreams of, of seeing the Titanic found intact, raised and brought to New York to complete the maiden voyage. In 1985 when the wreck was found broken in two, those dreams which were never realistic to begin with, ended forever, but the film at least lets us keep reliving that dream. And John Barry's score is outstanding. It's his best non-007 score altogether IMO.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jack P said:
the film is a total disaster, capturing none of the suspense/action/tension that made the novel and Cussler's Pitt novels special.
I vaguely remember a review of the film when it was released. The reviewer said the only time the film was any good was during the actual raising of the Titanic.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have the movie on VHS and do not think I want to spend the money. The best part is the end of the movie and the John Barry score. I believe that score may be out on cd. Being a Dark Shadows fan I thought David Selby was quite good in the film.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A rerecording of the score was done for CD about 15 years because unfortunately the original film tracks have disappeared.

There was a prologue of the sinking filmed for the movie that got cut from the final version, but the F/X sequence of that was used in the 1982 Titanic themed episode of the TV series "Voyagers" which is on DVD.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Jack P said:
A rerecording of the score was done for CD about 15 years because unfortunately the original film tracks have disappeared.
Does this imply that the source Shout Factory is using will not be in the original Dolby stereo?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
This was shown in London in 70mm Dolby Stereo and the sound was the best thing about it.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
This book was the first I read by Clive Cussler back in the late 70's, and it made me an avid fan. I've read dozens over the years, and I have eight of his books now waiting to be read. This movie doesn't do the book justice to be sure, but there's something about it that keeps me from changing the channel on the rare occasion it's broadcast. I'll wait for reviews before I order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks