Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Andrew Budgell said:
I miss those yearly chats...
Unfortunately, such chats won't happen again. I can't blame him after reading posts like this one.
Well, if Warner Brothers revisits PG & BTK I hope you'll use your influence with George Feltenstein to do right by Peckinpah's workprint. The way he turned his back on that is infuriating. But he turns his back on a lot of things. Paul Seydor assures us that his efforts to restore it and reinstate the missing scene were ignored by Feltenstein. I believe Seydor, but he gets blamed in the public's perception anyhow.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I disagree that we are the enemy. People posting on here are passionate about film and, obviously intemperate comment is to be regretted, not everything posted will be uncritical.

It is disappointing but not surprising that Raintree County is being kicked into the long grass. Although it is not a favourite of mine I would buy it, for the same reasons as I did Grand Prix, because it is a large format film and will look splendid on blu-ray and also because of Eva Marie Saint.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
I disagree that we are the enemy. People posting on here are passionate about film and, obviously intemperate comment is to be regretted, not everything posted will be uncritical.

It is disappointing but not surprising that Raintree County is being kicked into the long grass. Although it is not a favourite of mine I would buy it, for the same reasons as I did Grand Prix, because it is a large format film and will look splendid on blu-ray and also because of Eva Marie Saint.
Too many of us have forgotten that studio executives like George Feltenstein are human too with the same feelings like the rest of us. Just because they're professional managers, it doesn't mean that barbs posted on boards don't hurt them personally, especially if those barbs are not true. To question their integrity or to accuse them of turning their backs on certain films is a slap in the face for anyone that loves films like Mr. Feltenstein.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Unfortunately, such chats won't happen again. I can't blame him after reading posts like this one.
As this post was made only now it obviously was not the reason for these chats not happening anymore - was there really a feeling of too little respect towards people like George Feltenstein?Overall I always thought that this is a very civil and respectful forum so if this was the primary reason it would surprise me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OliverK said:
As this post was made only now it obviously was not the reason for these chats not happening anymore - was there really a feeling of too little respect towards people like George Feltenstein?Overall I always thought that this is a very civil and respectful forum so if this was the primary reason it would surprise me.
That was just a recent example, but there have been prior ones even more nastier than that one.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
That was a great chat. He really addressed a number of questions I had. I am not really sure why he would blame HTF for the post of particular individuals given that those same individuals can follow him to other sites if they wish.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoeDoakes said:
That was a great chat. He really addressed a number of questions I had. I am not really sure why he would blame HTF for the post of particular individuals given that those same individuals can follow him to other sites if they wish.
It's not just Mr. Feltenstein, its what many of the studio executives feel about interacting with boards. Also, we're not talking about the behavior during the actual chats which is a more controlled environment, but stuff that is posted before and after such chats. It's easier for studio personnel to get information out to their consumers without having to participate in forum chats. The age of facebook and such has made that quite easy now.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
RolandL said:
They could release a version like the South Pacific Blu-ray where the extra scenes are not restored. That would be OK by me.
I would be happy with that, especially if it was a choice between seeing them film on Blu-ray or not at all. I can barely recall the deleted scenes at this point, and I, for one, would be fine with having them as bonus material.

Would this satisfy anyone else?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I've never seen the roadshow version, although I think I have it on DVD-R from TCM. I've only watched the film as it exists on the laserdisc. Does the added footage fill in any gaps in the storyline?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Here is the list of extra scenes from the Raintree County web site:

RAINTREE COUNTY ­ ROADSHOW CUTS: 14 minutes, 48 seconds
-Nell and Garwood after graduation - 40 seconds-Swamp ­ 58 seconds-Professor and John in cornfield ­ 71 seconds-John and Father illegitimacy discussion­ 1 minute, 53 seconds-John, Bobby Drake and slave ­ 2 minutes, 16 seconds-John , Niles ­ unfulfilled ambition ­ 1 minute, 46 seconds [key scene]-John going to homestead and Susanna in labor ­ 55 seconds [the lead in uses an alternate take as well]-John's Search in Indianapolis, visit to Garwood, photographer and Decision to enlist ­ 4 minutes, 34 seconds-Susanna's Decision and Search for the doll­ 35 seconds

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
While I would love to have the complete "Raintree County" beautifully restored, I would settle for a BluRay transfer of the general release version from Camera 65 materials that looks and sounds similar to Ben-Hur, along with an off-the-shelf SD transfer of what they've been running on TCM as the "roadshow version".

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I know it was only released in 35mm scope 2.35 but, it would be cool if they could show the full 70mm MGM Camera 65 2:76 aspect ratio. Below from Widescreen Museum

mgmcamera65.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Andrew Budgell said:
I would be happy with that, especially if it was a choice between seeing them film on Blu-ray or not at all. I can barely recall the deleted scenes at this point, and I, for one, would be fine with having them as bonus material.

Would this satisfy anyone else?
Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks