What's new

Rainbow Six 3 for XBOX won't support widescreen nor 720p. (1 Viewer)

Trent_N

Agent
They shouldn't have told us that bull about 720p support if it wasn't written in stone. I'm sure they intended to, but for whatever reason it didn't work out. I intended to purchase the game, but for whatever reason it's not going to work out.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
It is just laziness, and ignorance.
:rolleyes:Hell of a blanket statement when the issues behind Ubi Soft's decision are unknown. I don't believe Splinter Cell supported 720p or widescreen but it still kicked ass.

I can see the direction this thread is likely to take so am asking in advance to keep it on the level.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I imagine they just probably couldn't get it looking reasonable at the higher resolution. You could try to make it faster by turning off all the bells and whistles, but perhaps it still dropped too many frames. Plus, the bells and whistles are part of what makes the unreal warfare engine neat, the physics engine and all.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I asked the developer at E3 this and even then they said was pretty much wasn't going to happen. So not sure what the big surprise is, although I missed any rumor announcements that it was going to support them.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
720p over 480p isn't nearly the jump that 480p over 480i is. Plus, RS3 already isn't the smoothest running game, so it's possible they just couldn't do it. Developers who leave 480p out of games(The Thing, MGS2:S, Resident Evil etc.) are "lazy and ignorant" because it's the current commonly accepted standard for games, but 720p is still an "extra".

As for 16X9, I was never expecting that... RS3 was originally a PC game after all.

Chris_Young

Auditioning
I agree that 720p on the Xbox is a waste of time. It just doesn't look that much better than 480p and I noticed some slowdown on games such as Freedom Fighters.

However, in 2003, it is outrageous not to have 16x9 support in any game. And JamesH, if you had a widescreen monitor you would know that most PC games support 16x9, including RS3.

As disgusted as I am with Ubisoft for shortchanging us, I will probably break down and buy it...

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Yeah, I'm going to pick it up too. The gameplay is too good. Well, at least as far as I can tell from the demo.

Right now, everything looks somewhat bad to me. I finally finished my home theater room and moved all my equipment back in.

Yesterday was the 1st day in over 2 years that I've played ANY gaming on my 60" RPTV Proscan. The Xbox wasn't even available then. I forgot how blowing up an image to that size shows all the deficiencies that a 32" tube tv doesn't.

It's cool with everything being so big but, games still don't look as good as the tube upstairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks