What's new

raiders of the Lost Ark..........To be digitally edited!!!! (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
To me, the reflection is inconsequential and shouldn't be considered a "change."

If they're doing some digital grading on the film for color correction / contrast improvement, etc... it's not much of a stretch to remove a reflection from about 20 frames of film.

Since digital grading is "changing" the source, should this be taboo, too?

As for the reflection itself, it may have been difficult to shoot without it... glass is like that, you do the best you can. Removing it now is easier than removing it before digital technology, and it doesn't change the scene as it was storyboarded.

No harm, no foul.

-Scott

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Exactly. Something like digitally "removing" the glass from Raiders, or tweaking Superman's costume or R2-D2's color panels to their correct respective shades of blue, or fixing the whole "Vulcan has no moons" thing, that's one thing. I have no problem with Spielberg wanting to correct this error.

Yet the censorship in "Fantasia" to remove any objectionable references - the film in that instance should have been left alone. Same thing with "Star Wars": Han shoots first.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Fixing mistakes is fine, but if you do anything that changes the intent of the scene, the original should at least still be made available.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
As this is news to me, exactly why did Christopher Reeve wear turquiose? If he did it because special effects at the time required a turquoise outfit to make the special effects work or some other reason that required a turquoise uniform, then the change as far as I'm concerned is acceptable.
I guess it's acceptable then John. :D

Reeve wore a more green-hued uniform for some flying scenes so that he could be shot with the blue-screen process. Naturally, this was necessary so that his blue suit didn't disappear into the background. :) While it made the shots work the way they were intended to, seein' Supes flyin' around in a green/turquiose suit in one shot, and blue in another was somewhat annoying. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks