What's new

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The IMAX Experience (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I met up with a friend and saw it this morning. After all these years, the movie is still so good and so much fun and seeing it in IMAX was pretty impressive.
Wayne_j said:
A theater near me is showing Raiders in non-IMAX all next week. I don't know if this is 4K/2K/or 35mm.
Yeah, an AMC near me has it listed starting tomorrow as well. I was wondering if it was just some kind of error in the listing but I guess not.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
I just got back from a faux-IMAX screening, and loved it. I did not notice any anomalies with the picture, and the sound was awesome. I'm tempted to see it again.
What do you guys mean when something is "faux-IMAX"? Just a standard 35mm or 70mm presentation cropped to fit an IMAX screen? Or is there some other process that mimics a true IMAX showing?
I remember seeing actual IMAX prints when I was younger, don't remember the exact size, but each frame was probably 3-4 inches wide, maybe 3 inches tall (that's probably completely wrong, but I'm going back 30+ years in my memory). The prints were huge and ran horizontally, rather than vertical like other projectors at that time.
Now with most everything being digital, that has changed, I'm just curious what you mean by "faux-IMAX"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It is a digital projection from a hard drive not film off of a reel.
Also the screen size factors in but it's mostly the digital part.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94796
Theatrical run has been extended, presumably in non IMAX theaters:
Due to the extraordinary response for the newly re-mastered �RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK� during its one-week IMAX engagement, Paramount Pictures Corporation, a division of Viacom, Inc., has announced that the film will have an extended theatrical run beginning Friday, September 14.
The unforgettable and beloved film from director Steven Spielberg and executive producer George Lucas will play in more than 300 digital theaters across the United States and Canada. Tickets can be purchased now. Check your local listings for participating locations and showtimes.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Anyone else attending the Indy marathon tomorrow? I plan on going but not for the entire four-film run - it's just too much to take in one day. I'd limp out of the theater needing a walker :D

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from seeing Raider's in it's non-IMAX run. It looked much grainier than it did in IMAX, making me think that IMAX put quite a bit of DNR on it. The focus problems looked like much less of a problem probably because detail wasn't lost because of DNR. Overall the most film like digital projection I've seen.
The titles and the spiders in the beginning still looked very funky.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
cineMANIAC said:
Anyone else attending the Indy marathon tomorrow? I plan on going but not for the entire four-film run - it's just too much to take in one day. I'd limp out of the theater needing a walker :D
I went but didn't stick around for KOTCS.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Well, the marathon was fun - got a cool poster and Karen Allen was brought in for a Q&A, which was a surprise. Watching the Indy films on a giant screen and seeing Karen Allen in person was worth the pain :D

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I saw Raiders on a Sony 4K projector and thought it was a very good, film-like presentation. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it on a big screen again.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Can anyone confirm if the BR of Raiders has the digitally removed hydraulic pole that flips the truck onto its side? I think it was removed for the DVD release, but I'm pretty sure I saw it back in the IMAX print that I saw a couple of weekends ago. That effect was always obvious, so I'm hoping they didn't forget about it this time around, especially since I'm used to not seeing it for a few years already. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hi Dennis.....long time.
Yes the pole is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks