1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Radio Shack SPL Meter ON SALE!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jon-C, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Jon-C

Jon-C Well-Known Member

2. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Well-Known Member

Best $25 investment!!!

3. NateF

NateF Well-Known Member

I have the digital version... people seem to recommend the analog version, however. Is there a significant difference?

4. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Well-Known Member

They Digital job has more bells and whistles. They basically read the same. I own both and prefer the digital because of the max feature.

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Well-Known Member

I also own the digital version and I love it. It's been passed around my circle of friends a few times. It's paid for it's self 10x over.

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Well-Known Member

Kyle
    I never used a SPL meter but do plan on picking one up soon. Analog or digital is my problem, which one to use? is the digital one easier to use and read?

7. BrianMe

BrianMe Well-Known Member

I went out and bought one tonight. Was going to get one for a while, but then it's on sale so I HAD to get one.

I brought it home and calibrated my system (Onkyo TSXR600, HTS500 speakers, and SVS 20-39 PC+ sub) and I gotta say, it didn't make a huge amount of difference. One thing I did find is that I had the sub WAY up high, and still haven't gotten it turned down all the way yet. I also had my rear speakers way to high as well. I turned it down, but now I've lost what I thought I had for "surround" sound. I'm gonna work on it some more.

Brian

8. Myo K

Myo K Well-Known Member

brian are you sure you calibrated it properly? when all the speakers are calibrated it should make your system sound a lot more expensive. its as if all 6 speakers dissapear and you just hear environmental sounds all around you.

make sure you spl meter is set to 70, weight c, slow reading, hold the spl meter where your ears would normally be, set your receiver volume at the normal listening position and run the sound tests, change the sound output of each channel so that the speakers all read the same from the listening position, one at a time. be sure to close the doors and windows, and any devices or machines that emit any type of sound, while you do the calibrations.

i think people prefer analog becuase you read and needle rather then a digital number, supposedly its simpler and anything simpler is better right?

9. David Preston

David Preston Well-Known Member

What is the normal price it goes for? I was thinking of getting one along with AVIA.

10. Jon-C

Jon-C Well-Known Member

Picked one up last night![​IMG] [​IMG]

11. WarnerL

WarnerL Active Member