1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Radio Shack analog SPL meter being discontinued

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris A H, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Chris A H

Chris A H Well-Known Member

Radio Shack.com doesn't have them listed anymore, and the Oakland B&M shop says it's being discontinued in favor of the digital meter.

Get one before they are gone!

2. Matt`G

Matt`G Active Member

About a month ago my local RS ran out of them, so I picked up the last one in the RS the next town over. Whew!

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Well-Known Member

4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Well-Known Member

Ooooooh.

Thats sharp [​IMG]

Whowouldathunk it. Sears selling SPL meters?

5. steve nn

steve nn Well-Known Member

I don't know what I am missing but the dgtl does fine for me. More $$ though. I intended to buy the analog but dgtl is the way it worked out.

6. terence

terence Well-Known Member

7. JimmyK

JimmyK Well-Known Member

Jim

8. steve nn

Ok I say we start our own club then! (The digital boys) against (The analog boys)..[​IMG]

Seriously though> I just would like to see a common standard in mixing of the sound level on all DVD's. The swing must be up to 10db or so. -10 on that dvd is like -20 on this dvd??? [​IMG]

9. Robert AG

Robert AG Well-Known Member

Analog meter movements are easier to intrepret with events (like sound) that are changing over time. Digital readouts are OK for events that are more stable. It's very difficult to accurately "eyeball average" a display of constantly changing numbers.

It is a shame that RadioShack is discontinuing the analog meter. It is actually used on motion picture dubbing stages to check the SPL of movie mixes.

10. steve nn

I understand what your saying Robert and I do agree. But for HT calibration purposes though> The dgtl will do fine. Steady numbers on my end.

RadioShack has been in the process of phasing out the analog for over a year now. Possibly just another way of getting a little more $$ out of us poor HT/bass addicts??

11. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Well-Known Member

Hey, Parts Express could fill the gap. A SPL meter is right up their alley!!!

12. WarnerL

WarnerL Active Member

13. Robert AG

>>>No offence Robert, but I find that most of the people that quote this advantage of the analog over the digital sound pressure level meter have never tried out the digital meter and thus do not know how it actually works in real life. They are just quoting misguided quotes from other analog meter users.

14. JimmyK

JimmyK Well-Known Member

Jim

15. Robert AG

Like I said, some people believe in complex solutions (and evidently explanations) for simple problems. In the slow response mode, the time constant (or "damping") of the meter readout is longer, which smooths the response to sudden changes. When reading lower frequencies, the time constant must be longer to achieve the same "damping" action relative to mid-range frequencies. None of this really has any bearing on the test tone used in receivers and pre/pros for setting the level for the mains and surrounds because that tone only contains about an octave wide band of frequencies centered around 1Khz, so the readout is going to be relatively steady whether you are using an analog or digital meter. My comments regarding the analog movement have more to do with the ability to intrepret easily the "rate of change" of the action of the meter, while correlating that with the audible feedback of full range pink noise. How quickly the needle changes it's position is useful information along with the absolute level / average reading.

I think the more mundane reason RadioShack is discontinuing the analog meter is an increasing difficulity in obtaining analog meter movements that meet the ballistic requirements of the meter for sound work. They are simply costing more than the relatively easy to manufacture digital LCD readouts do, so RadioShack has a monetary incentive to discontinue the analog meter.

16. WarnerL

WarnerL Active Member

17. Robert AG

>>>Are you saying it was so much better watching a needle moving around as opposed to watching a bar graph moving around?

18. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Well-Known Member

whats wrong with the digital?

19. Robert AG

>>>whats wrong with the digital?

20. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I personally prefer the analog version (yes I have used both) and it is a shame that RatShack is discontinuing it. I prefer the look of an analog VU meter of a digital bar graph. This is just my personal preference.

Robert:

When I watched some of the guys mixing down some movies at the studios I noticed that a lot of them have 6 large VU meters under the screen that they monitor the various audio tracks with. This is off the sound board. Do they do this because the find the VU meters easier to read than the digital bar graphs or what?

Parker