What's new

Race With the Devil (1 Viewer)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I had fond memories of this movie when I bought the Anchor Bay disc. It didn't disappoint. This is an obscure but very well made film with a first rate cast.

I also give kudos to Anchor Bay. The picture is in good shape. The extras include a interview with Peter Fonda, a
commentary with the executive producer and Lara Parker, trailers and a still gallery. All this for $14.95 SRP that
I bought for 11.95. An excellent value.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, it is the PG version with the blurred-out nudity and not the R cut. This would have been the ideal time to use the uncut version.

Not a great film, but its got Warren Oates in it. And that didn't happen enough in movies.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
TBH, I've never seen an 'R' cut of the film and personally speaking it's not that big a deal. What is a bummer is the fact that it's not quite as good as I remembered it, which is a pity.

It's so very nearly a really good movie, but sadly Oates is restricted to knitting his eyebrows, looking fairly concerned, saying 'Nnnnn-yah!' alot, and having fun with a ski-pole and a rubber snake. Peter Fonda - who wasn't missing working with Sam Peckinpah - tells us he had a blast. What the hell; considering the production problems it's a wonder they came up with a film this decent, and there are worse ways to spend an evening...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, not exactly a great role for Oates, but his face is up there on the screen. Gimme that face over any of the sissy boys we got today in Hollywood. That man was what American is really about. I love Cockfighter. One of the greatest American films ever made. Most American films, paradoxically are not about America. As Werner Herzog once said, American is one of the most "exotic" places on Earth. Hellman's films, particularly, Two-Lane Blacktop, also with Oates, seem to give an idea to me what he is refering to. Peckinpah's, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (once again with Oates!) is a prime example of a key 70s film that shows a side of the American psyche that I find fascinating. Race With the Devil is a cheesier, unrefined take on this aspect of Modern American Life, but is still interesting and fascinating and Satanism has its strongest followings in America and God knows it has more than its fair share of absurd violence.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I so looked forward to this movie on DVD...and was not disappointed! I saw this movie as a kid and it still puts a smile on my face all these years later. For me, nothing beats that end!:emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Guys,

I am working on an official review of this release. It's been held up because my central air has been down for several days and my free time has been spent trying to fix it (couldn't get anyone out due to the holiday; I live in South Florida, and my wife is 8 months pregnant -- priorities!!!).

Fortunately, I got it fixed this morning (finally got a service call), so the review should be up in the next day or two.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Is this the flick where...

...two couples in a Winnebago are chased down by devil worshipping bikers? If it is...

I was about eight or nine and barely remember anything from the film. The title of the film just made me remember clearly that I had decided to rearrange my bedroom earlier the same day I saw the movie on TV. I moved my twin bed from alongside the wall to the headboard against the wall. After watching the movie that night, I DID NOT sleep the entire evening. I remember being constantly terrified peering over the edges of my bed...

If this is the same film I remember, the title sure did bring out a suppressed memory from me! :eek:

8^B

**EDIT** I'll have to check out this DVD to see if it is the same, and if it it will still keep me from sleeping at night!

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Yes it is, and while it does not have the impact we all remember long ago, I found it was still quite creepy and sustained a nice atmosphere. It was great to revisit the flick. The opening credits are also incredibly cool!

The transfer looked damn good for the most part - kudos to Anchor Bay for their effort!

I thought the blurring mentioned in a previous post was always present in the theatrical release - which IIRC was always PG...? Maybe I'm wrong. The TV version I think trimmed a bit more of the violence during that particular scene.

Another quick observation: as is the case with many good horror films (and I do consider this a good one, conceptually), there are some nice, resonating ideas: Oates' comment early on that they don't need anything or anyone - that they are "self-contained," and then the group is ironically forced to confront the folks on the outside - who may or may not be malevolent. Just a great, creepy concept!

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I agree-more Warren Oates is a good thing.

I enjoyed this flick but it didn't quite grab me enough for a purchase and extra viewing at this time.

Aaron said:

Guys,

I am working on an official review of this release. It's been held up because my central air has been down for several days and my free time has been spent trying to fix it (couldn't get anyone out due to the holiday; I live in South Florida, and my wife is 8 months pregnant -- priorities!!!).

Fortunately, I got it fixed this morning (finally got a service call), so the review should be up in the next day or two.

Being lazy I'll ask now: link?

:D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
When this came out I was living in San Mateo CA and took some young thing who loved horses.
I remember the movie, not the girl. :)
It was more fun to see it again a few years ago because it was filmed in the Hill Country of Tejas, where I live now

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks