What's new

R1 versions of AMELIE? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As usual, Amazon.ca is completely unhelpful with their product descriptions, and list a half dozen versions.

The two that most seem candidates are about $5 apart. One (the more expensive one) I know for sure is the US Miramax 2 disc set. The less expensive one is distributed by Universal, but I am concerned whether this is just the Canadian version (with all the features) or some bare bones, dubbed version. Does anybody know?

Amazon also lists some even more expensive French only versions (no English subs) I know I don't want.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The 2-disc Miramax version is available in US B&M's for only $14.99, so don't pay too much from any on-line source.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I ordered the cheap version at Amazon.ca about two months ago, and got the 2-disc version I expected. :)

It features two commentaries by Jeunet BTW, but one is in French without subtitles. The rest of the extras are "follow-able" for English viewers.

I already got rid of it though (I thought the English subs lost quite a bit of dialogue, and so I replaced it with the Dutch edition), but I can't remember seeing any Universal logos, only Miramax ones.

(I checked my order history, and it certainly was the cheap version I ordered)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I can't tell which Canadian versions amazon has, as usual little info. Check here for all the version differences, it is not 100% accurate for the Canadian SE IMO, a little different than mine: Link Removed

I got mine from Future Shop, $22 (~US$15). It is the 2 disc Alliance Atlantis version distributed for Miramax. Cover doesn't exactly match any shown at amazon, says "5 academy award..." on it.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I know that Alliance changed their packaging for Amelie recently to include Disney's "Widescreen" banner (you know, that purple arc...sometimes red or yellow...that says widescreen) on the spine. Everything else looks the same.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Amazon.ca has the "import" Miramax for $23, and the Universal one for $18 and change. I'm pretty sure the Universal distributed version is just the Alliance release.

I saw this at A&B the other day, so I'll take another look, even though A&B's site lists the retail at $28, which is why I passed on this to begin with. I just don't want to get stuck with some single disc, dub only release going the cheap route.

Amazon.ca has a lot of work to do in cleaning up their database. Try doing a search for Lexx sometime...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
You might want to check out HMV.

I saw Amelie there as part of a 2 for $30 deal.

$15 CAD for a 2-disc Amelie is a fanstastic price.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Jeff, it's hard to say. For instance, my Amelie is made and printed in the U.S., so it's "imported" in amazon-speak. You can tell AA imports because they have stickers on the package (address/rating), as opposed to this stuff being printed on the box/cover. Also, my box isn't bilingual, except for the title of course! I think if you make sure you get the 2 disc version you are fine...can't totally go by price, as it was reported here a while ago that the price for this disc was significantly dropped in Canada, seems to be true. The price I quoted at FS was what I noticed on Tuesday, I paid significantly more last year.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yeah, I realize that the "import" version is the US one, it has the same AISN as the only one Amazon.com has.

The domestic version should cost less, in theory. What worries me about the Universal one (who may be distributing AA) is that under technical specs they list "English" as the language, which is probably just one of Amazon.ca's numerous errors.

There are a couple of French only versions, but they go by the longer French title.

Of course the box pics they show are useless, since I know they aren't right either.

The HMV deal isn't bad, at just under $17 shipped, but I can coupon at Amazon to $15 shipped. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks