What's new

R.I.P. Walt Disney Treasures series? See post #82! (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I was very excited to read the news on The Digital Bits - then I come here to read Rod's comment. Hopefully the word from Bossert is an out-of-date remark, rather than conflicting news.

I certainly hope they do finish the series.

The good thing about the rumoured death of the series was that it did cause me to realise I had only bought Waves 1, 2, and 3 - and I was therefore three Waves behind. And since Amazon is now completely sold out of the first three Waves, I'm guessing if I didn't hurry up, Wave 4 would be gone. So it prompted me to hurry up and order them in (although I did decide to only get the animated Treasures for the moment, since they are my main interest - if I can, I'll pick up the others later).

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I'm anxiously awaiting the posting of the so-called "interview" with Dave Bossert to see what this is all about.

I agree with you Matthew and hope too that the Bossert remark predates the Digital Bits confirmation that TREASURES live!

I only posted the UntimateDisney info so we are not blind-sided...and are prepared to launch another salvo of letters to Disney, if necessary.

:cool:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well it's official. Just recieved this email from Disney:

P.S.: As somewhat of a grammar nazi, I can't not point out that "Reports that the Walt Disney Treasures collection have been cancelled are inaccurate" is incorrect :)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
If Maltin isn't going to be a part of the Treasures anymore, would anyone else like to see Roy Disney or John Lasseter introduce these sets instead?

Paul

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
John Lasseter or an animation historian like Jerry Beck would be really nice.

David*W

Agent
Quite frankly If they even thought of putting Lasseter on these DVDs I'd quite literally go mad! I've got nothing against him or Pixar, but I just wish he'd stay away from anything Disney!

BVHE Rep

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Peotter
Reports that the Walt Disney Treasures collection have been cancelled are inaccurate. The next wave of Walt Disney Treasures are currently in development.

If you have any additional questions regarding our releases, please feel free to contact us at: [email protected] or (800) 723-4763

Thank you once again for your interest in Walt Disney Home Entertainment.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
UntimateDisney.com has the Dave Bossert interview posted...

Bossert's answer to a question about the rumored TREASURES' finale is:

"You know, what they're doing is that they're putting out now what they're calling the Walt Disney Legacy Collection. That's sort of the replacement collection, I guess, to the Treasures."

A vague answer to a leading question.

Interesting interview; suggested reading. :cool:

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Thanks Mike!

I wasn't sure if linking to another Forum was permitted!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...what question is still on the table?

Are there doubts for some reason that the Disney customer service people know what they're talking about? They seem to make it clear:

Those folks certainly don't say things loosely. I would take those responses at face value. (Paul's concerns about the Mouse's use of grammar notwithstanding! :D BTW, c-a-n-c-e-l-e-d is the preferred spelling of "cancelled." ;) )

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
There's a theory on UltimateDisney.com that the vote "No" by Leonard Maltin and Dave Bossert outweighs the "Yes" vote by Customer Service and TheDigitalBits.

So...the future of TREASURES is still not definite.
:frowning:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming it's just that Mr. Maltin was let go by Disney. That would explain the conflicting info.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I assume the same fate for LM, but it doesn't explain Dave Bossert's reply to an albeit leading question about the Treasures...unless Bossert is basing his answer on Maltin's comments initiating this nasty rumor.

Maltin: No more Treasures :thumbsdown:
Bossert: No more Treasures :thumbsdown:
DigitalBits: Yes...more Treasures :emoji_thumbsup:
Customer Svc: Yes...more Treasures :emoji_thumbsup:

We need a tie-breaker! :crazy:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Bossert's response seems a bit unsure. I don't think he's aware of the scheduling much. Later on that's also evident when talking about the Platinums.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
There's no reason in the world to suddenly "release" Leonard Maltin from the continuation of the series. I doubt his paycheck was that significant an expense to the company to warrant future release without him on board. He has not only been the series producer from the very first wave, but the entire concept behind these release were his own accord, he pitched the idea to the company and they have been his pet project from the ground up. I'm sure Disney has appreciated his resources in producing, compiling, arranging and contextualizing these films as host and narrator of the video line as well. Disney would have to pay someone to do all this work, so it would make little sense to suddenly continue with future releases (as realized and suggested by Leonard Maltin) without his assistance.

All that said, this is a direct quote from Leonard Maltin as of LAST NIGHT:

"I can assure you though, sadly, the series is over." - Leonard Maltin

I'm not sure where the Digital Bits source info comes from or how credible it is, but since when does customer service know about anything that's going on?

I'll take the creator and producer of the series word for it, over some generic automated emails that c.s. have been instructed to send out.

I'm not satisfied with any of the information that's been revealed so far.

Apparently, at the cost of releasing the Legacy Series, all future WDT will be ceased and the series will not see finish. This is not only incredibly disappointing, but utterly thoughtless as well.

I think everyone should continue with the letter/email writing campaign, continue to call up customer service - and make very clear distinction between both the Treasures and Legacy series when you do, and which of the two you are calling about so that Disney is unable to manipulate their answers in any way. Explain that despite the information they are revealing, the producer of the series himself says otherwise.

I'd hope The Digital Bits could investigate this further as well, and maybe offer us all a bit more revealing info in regards to the details they posted earlier last week, and where they came from exactly. Because they clearly seem to be conflicting with what we're hearing from more direct sources...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks