What's new

R.I.P. Walt Disney Treasures series? See post #82! (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
When it comes to collecting, I'm just as neurotic as the next guy -- but if they start over with the Donalds in Legacy sets, you don't have to buy the first two volumes over again. Just wait for Volumes 3 and 4. So they won't match on your shelves. Worse things could happen!

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Ponder this: Maybe it's a Disney marketing "fishing expedition" to test the waters for continuing TREASURES?

It's as credible as saying TREASURES is being pulled to not detract from future releases. :laugh:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

So that's the equivalent of telling everyone to wait about four years for future releases?

ASSUMING (which I am NOT, since I've been given no reason to) that this is happening at all, and if it were to happen - that the D.D. releases would be among the first (before Mickey and the other characters) and follow-up consistently.

That's ridiculous and I'm guessing that the people making excuses on Disney's behalf in this thread are also ones who haven't been avidly collecting the series.

I said it before and I'll say it again -- It doesn't matter what their plan is... they started the Treasures line with the intent of releasing at least two more series of Donald Duck sets and that's the idea we all had when purchasing. These should be finnished under the TREASURES line and with Leonard Maltin serving as host. Not Legacy Collection or anything else.

As much as I'd like it to stick around... they can do whatever they want with the series after that.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Just a comment on live action vs. animated releases. Being a classic animation fanatic, I naturally am biased, but I must say that the animated releases are treasures moreso than the live action TV stuff. No disrespect to those who favor those releases more (I have two of them, Tomorrowland and Behind the Scenes), but I believe there's much more value in the animated Treasures. And the fact that we're 3 tins away from a complete catalog of the entirety of Walt Disney shorts is killing me. It's like Warner would have released fifteen Looney Tunes Golden Collections and just stopped a few short without finishing their entire run of shorts.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I agree PaulP. Like someone said in an earlier thread, what's the point of buying the Encyclopedia volumes A through W...and missing X, Y, Z?

That's why I think this rumor/story doesn't pass the "smell test."

Disney knows they're going to p*ss off collectors. Can they be THAT heartless?
:frowning:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
For my own clarification, are the Donald vol. 3 & 4 discs the only animated releases that haven't been completed? And I'm only talking about "major" Disney characters. Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc. IIRC, the last volume of Mickey cartoons completed his run, right?

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Yes, you're basically correct.

Apart from the 50+ remaining DD shorts, there are IMO just five more "really essential" classic shorts - Susie The Little Blue Coupe, Casey Bats Again and the three (?) C&D shorts. These could just as well be included in the DD volumes. I think that's what we should ask for at this point.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I own the first Mickey Mouse in living color and the first Silly Symphonies. I've thought about selling them, but I need to rewatch them because it has been a while. I hope the series continues for all of the fans. They are great sets, overall.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I bet there are a lot of us who only own Tomorrowland and Behind the Scenes of the non-animated releases.

I'm hoping they re-release the Mickey Mouse material in the new series. I missed them when they were available, but I have a son now who loves Mickey.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Well, I have most (not all) of the WDT releases, but Tomorrowland is the one that got my attention and made me interested. It's still my favorite, along with possibly the WWII cartoons set.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I know I'm supposed to like the animated releases better, but I've actually enjoyed the live-action better... probably more for the historical nature and a glimpse of what Disney production was within that timeframe.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
Susie The Little Blue Coupe will probably end up on the Cars Special Edition dvd when that happens. Circuit City was giving free downloads of it as their bonus.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

A lot of these random shorts could probably go on the talked about "Destino" legacy set. I'm not too sure what all would be on the Destino set.

Surely one more wave of Treasures is in order. Clean up the Donald Ducks, toss in some more Baco (didn't like Swamp Fox, but they can do some of that too.) Actually, Baco and Fox would be better served in a large season set wouldn't it?

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

I was confused that they didnt do this in the first place. At least lovers of that show would have 'em since I thought that the set probably wouldnt sell well IMHO.

CameronMcC

Second Unit

I had forgotten about that...thanks

apparently it is also available on Walt Disney's It's a Small World of Fun! - Volume 2 as well

Casey bats again is also on melody time

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I think I've got most of the "missing" shorts somewhere (most of them on various laserdiscs). But since we've got ~85% of the classic shorts in the Treasures line so far I simply want it all "wrapped up" there - that's my main concern here. The fact that the rest of the shorts can be found "here and there" is better than nothing, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks