1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P., the movie camera: 1888-2011

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Charles Smith, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Too many RIPs lately. This time, though, it's not a person.

Major manufacturers have ceased production of new motion picture film cameras; cinema as we once knew it is dead..
    http://www.salon.com/2011/10/13/r_i_p_the_movie_camera_1888_2011/

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

Yeah, Sam Posten posted about this too. While it's definitely a sad sign of the times, don't expect 35mm film production to immediately cease. There's a lot of equipment still out there, and will be for a long time to come. The end of film production will be a slow drift toward digital as equipment craps out and a new generation of directors and D.P.s comes in, not a sudden flip flop.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If it goes like consumer market has it will be faster than you think. Without the bulk of the market to keep things moving it will be too expensive to process film especially given the other benefits of digital (not to debate them overall, I like both as a consumer and I'm sure directors and DPs will pine for film aesthetic for years). The economic realities will be hard to combat.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Well-Known Member

Dennis
    It's been a long life. How many items do you have around the house that are circa 1888 technology? The closest thing I have are some old rifles: the oldest one that I fire is dated 1896 from the Tula armory in Tsarist Russia.