What's new

R.I.P Bob May (1 Viewer)

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
This is a sad day! I met Bob at the San Diego Comic-Con in 05 or 06 got my DVd's signed season 1-3 He is a very nice person talked to him for awhile! so long Bob I enjoyed talking with you!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
May he RIP. He had one of the most recognizable voices....

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Are you responding to me? If so, I was not referring in any way to the robot. I was referring to his speaking voice, which in quality and in timbre was very distinguished--much like Joseph Ruskin's, or John Fiedler's, or Sterling Holloway's. When I heard it, I found it to be instantly recognizable.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Tufield would be one of the earliest recongizeable voice I can remember from pop culture childhood...RIP Bob May....

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I met Bob May back in 2006 at my first Gallifrey Convention. I was doing set up and helped Bob unload his car and carried his baggage into the hotel. I found him to be a sweet little old man. I told him that I was impressed that he climbed into that robot suit with that high voltage neon display sitting right in front of his face. His eyes grew wide, and agreed at just how crazy that design was.

The tragedy just keeps happening to this family. Last November, Bob and his wife lost their home in the California wildfires. I can't help think that that loss contributed to his death.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
One instance where Bob May’s voice is actually heard speaking for the Lost In Space Robot in an episode was the climactic ending scene of “The Ghost Planet” (DVD – LOST IN SPACE Season Two, Volume One), where the Robinsons are pushing the semi-disabled Robot back to the ship, as they are under fire from automatons.

Dick Tufeld apparently failed to cover the Robot’s dialogue in this scene, as he frantically urges his friends to “Heave and Push!” Listen to it, and you will hear the difference.

Rest in Peace, Mr. May! You’ve entertained more grateful persons than you’ll ever know!

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau

You are very insightful, Joe! :emoji_thumbsup:
Indeed, I remember very well that scene. Everyone in that scene is screeming their way out of the alien "warehouse". That must have been the reason they could not mix over the voice of Tufeld with all the other actors. The would have been forced to dub all the cast for remaking voice overs.

Another easy way to hear Bob May's real voice is also in this episode (The Ghost Planet) when the spaceship is invited by a nice female voice on radio, to land on the alien planet. The Robot is playing guitar for Dr. Smith and sings "Santa Lucia". That's May signing.

In season 1, The robot is signing "Figaro" with Bob May's voice while showering Dr. Smith.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

“Insightful” right back at ‘cha!

I never thought of this, but it may very well be an inability of the technology of the time that did not allow for the “isolation” of Bob May’s screaming over that of the others – who, uncharacteristically, all seemed to be shouting over one another in their frenzy!

Without such isolation, perhaps Dick Tufeld’s voice could not have been overdubbed in that instance. May often sung for the Robot, as you point out, but that was a rare opportunity to hear him speak!

Oh, and Bob May was also did a silent cameo as Hitler in the TIME TUNNEL episode “The Kidnappers” – DVD The Time Tunnel Volume Two. Del (“Kowalski”) Monroe, from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was also in that one as a time traveling android.

…Such great stuff!

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Mr. Bob May was only 69 when he died but what a life he led! We will forever remember him for helping bring one of the most memorable characters in vintage scifi to life - the Lost In Space Robot!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Bob May can also be seen and heard in the FANTASY WORLDS OF IRWIN ALLEN program seen on SciFi and released on DVD by Image Entertainment. He's seen inside the Robot in some schtick where they pretend he's been in there all these years.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks