What's new

"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you? (2 Viewers)

whbos

Auditioning
Real Name
William Boswell
"Slow Boat to Madness" (Part 1 & 2) is one of my favorite episodes. Also "A Night to Raise the Dead." I wish they would release the rest of the series because off-air copies are too chopped up.
I compared episodes I taped from A&E to ones from Hallmark and the edits were in different places. If I could have transferred both to one tape I might actually have an uncut version. I believe MeTV or RTV is running Quincy, or they did.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisCook ../../315477/how-realistic-is-finding-your-holy-grail/30#post_3861181
Quincy, M.E. (the last five seasons and a re-release of Seasons 1 & 2 on single-sided discs with the original music)

NOTE: Part-quoted post is post #36 on page 2 of the thread How "realistic" is finding your "Holy Grail"? in the TV on DVD folder.

Did you know about the third season having been released on Region 4 (Austrailia), with the fourth season coming out next month? Will email Madman to find out if there are any music edits.

galipolis

Grip
Real Name
Klaus Dietrichs
Hello,
I received my QUINCY SEASON THREE Region 4 DVD Set from Madman today.
Although announced on their website that it contains a booklet, in my DVD Set NO booklet is included.
On the backside of the DVD Set there is also no booklet mentioned or listed - unlike their BANACEK,
MCCLOUD, MCMILLAN and ELLERY QUEEN DVD Sets where the booklet always is listed as a content
on the DVD Set backside when one is included.
Can it be that QUINCY SEASON THREE indeed does not include a booklet at all?
If someone has the QUINCY SEASON THREE Region 4 DVD Set from Madman too, I would
really appreciate if he could give me some Info on the booklet issue.
Thanks for your help, Klaus.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Maybe it was an isolated incident with your copy of Madman's release of the third season of Quincy, M.E.? It still has on Madman's website listing page for the set, a booklet listed under the Special Features heading.

Was thinking about getting the Region 4 third season set of Quincy, M.E.. However, VEI may continue Quincy, M.E. on Region 1 (or are VEI's sets Region 0?).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
FanCollector said:
90#post_3834228
Hi from the guy who e-mailed Madman. Yes, the Madman representative told me they had licensed the fourth and fifth seasons of Quincy.
Any word yet on when Madman will release the fifth season? Four month gap between Seasons 3 & 4, so I was going to have a wild guess at March 2012.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by derosa /t/242202/quincy-m-e-season-3-where-are-you/120#post_3883538
Their website shows a release date for season 5 of March 21, 2012
http://www.madman.com.au/series/home/16314/quincy-m-e-the-complete-fifth-season
Great news. Must have been added today as I checked Madman's website yesterday and only the third and fourth seasons were on there.

At this rate, Madman will have released up to the seventh season by the end of next year (if the four month gap continues between seasons).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Was the NBC Mystery Movie opening shown for the 90 minute 'second season' episode "...The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone...", when it was originally shown on NBC?

whbos

Auditioning
Real Name
William Boswell
I'm curious about the Madman releases of Quincy. Where are they coming from? Are they from network prints or are they from syndiction (i.e., hacked up for commercials)? What is the quality of the DVDs?
I already have a number of episodes of Quincy following the Universal Studio releases of Seasons 1-3 so I don't need to order something that would be similar to what I have already. I don't have the complete series, but I do have what I thought were the better episodes after Season 3 which are on fifteen DVDs. They are, of course, edited for syndication from the Hallmark Channel. A few from A&E.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I have their Season 4 release and will get their Season 5 as well, unless there's word of Universal intending to start it all up again, but that of course would only be Season 4 which I have now and no guarantee of a Season 5. The old circle, basically. Or should that be circus. So far they haven't continued with McCloud either, a title Madman's probably bound to complete. Anyway, whether or not the Aussie release of Quincy is syndication episodes I'm not sure, I don't have those to compare, but my guess is they're complete as Madman wouldn't give us anything trimmed. At least I hope not. The picture quality looks okay to me, nothing spectacular mind you but just fine enough. Alas no subtitles, though.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
HenryDuBrow said:
I have their Season 4 release and will get their Season 5 as well.
How many minutes do the season 4 episodes run?
According to the madman website, season 4 runs 1127 minutes,
and the wikipedia episode guide says 23 episodes, so that's 49 minutes
each for the 1978-79 season. That could be right.
Grant

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
FanCollector said:
The episodes are uncut, but there is that slight PAL speed up.
Do you know there's speed-up for a fact (i.e. you've seen them)? There will only be speed-up if they were working from film prints. I figured it was quite possible that they were given PAL masters that were standards-converted from NTSC transfers. If that is the case, then there would be no speed-up (and if the runtimes sound right for a 1979 show, then that's likely what it was: PAL, but converted from NTSC tape masters.

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
I would agree with the speed-up. The episodes run in the 47:15-ish range (I would say that's about average, some a little more some less.) When I originally got the set, i thought there might be cuts or something, but the speed up is particularly noticeable during the theme song and the Universal logo at the end - all of that sounds like it's at a higher pitch. It's not really noticeable (to me at least) during the episode.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, there is definitely speed up; that 47 minute running time even includes the episode preview. It isn't ruinous, especially given uncut episodes and nice looking prints, but they are sped up.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the info. I was going by DeRosa's post saying approx. 49 minutes each, which would have been about right for non-sped-up shows of that vintage.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The box does say 1127 minutes, which would indeed work out to 49 minutes per episode, but that number must have been calculated either by Universal or by Madman just doing arithmetic because the episodes all run 46+ minutes plus a preview. I'm sure Madman intended no trickery; just an honest mistake on their part, though it does show we should always take advertised running times with a grain of salt.

whbos

Auditioning
Real Name
William Boswell
The running times should be accurate and not based on those from Universal otherwise it's misleading to buyers. Shorter run times show whether they're edited or not and that would be information a buyer would want to know.
Are these only in PAL or are they also available for NTSC? If PAL, there's no reason for me to bother with them since I don't have a dual region DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks