What's new

"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you? (2 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Hi from the guy who e-mailed Madman. Yes, the Madman representative told me they had licensed the fourth and fifth seasons of Quincy. And they are using the same weird counting system that Universal Home Video was using. Good news, as there doesn't seem to be any Region 1 action on Quincy.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by FanCollector
Hi from the guy who e-mailed Madman. Yes, the Madman representative told me they had licensed the fourth and fifth seasons of Quincy. And they are using the same weird counting system that Universal Home Video was using. Good news, as there doesn't seem to be any Region 1 action on Quincy.
Weird counting system? On the discs?

This is great news and thanks for sharing it. Even though the third season was released today, did they say when the fourth season would be released?

The fourth season (which includes a two-part story that aired on the same night) consists of 23 episodes, so it should be a 6-disc set. Finally will be able to see the episode Greg Morris guest starred in, "A Night to Raise the Dead".

The fifth season (which includes the classic "Deadly Arena") consists of 22 episodes, so that should be a 6-disc set as well.

I noticed on the Madman website page for Quincy, M.E.: The Complete Third Season that a booklet is included. Does this contain synopsis' for the episodes?

Finally, I noticed with the Darkroom: The Complete Series set (released by Madman), that despite being a Region 4 set it dosen't play on a Region 2 player (Region 4 discs usually play on Region 2 players). So I'm assuming the Quincy, M.E. sets from Madman will only play on Region 1 or multi-region players.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't have Madman's third season set, but the booklets that have come with other sets of theirs do include episode descriptions.
The sets do not play on Region 1 players. I have to use a region-free DVD player for them, which also handles the PAL to NTSC difference.
The weird numbering to which I referred was suddenly counting the 1976-1977 season as two separate seasons. Switching timeslots doesn't change what year it is. I suppose someone thought it would sound more enticing to have the "complete first and second" seasons on one set.
They didn't have any release dates yet.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by FanCollector
I don't have Madman's third season set, but the booklets that have come with other sets of theirs do include episode descriptions.
The sets do not play on Region 1 players. I have to use a region-free DVD player for them, which also handles the PAL to NTSC difference.
The weird numbering to which I referred was suddenly counting the 1976-1977 season as two separate seasons. Switching timeslots doesn't change what year it is. I suppose someone thought it would sound more enticing to have the "complete first and second" seasons on one set.
They didn't have any release dates yet.
Good extra in a DVD set, having a booklet with episode synopsis' (even though there are episode guide websites).

Well that's weird that Madman sets don't play on Region 1 players.

I thought the first and second seasons were filmed together (the second season includes another feature length episode or TV movie, "...The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone"). On Region 2 they were released in one DVD set, as two separate seasons.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, they were released the same way in Region 1. But until that DVD release, no one on Earth would have called them two separate seasons. It is really just the first season of a seven season run, but now everyone talks about it like the first two seasons of an eight season run.
Madman sets are all Region 4 discs, so they don't work with Region 1 players. The booklets are usually nice. The Darkroom set you mentioned had some interesting tidbits in the booklet, but strangely lacked good descriptions of the stories.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
For anyone interested, Madman is releasing season four of Quincy in November and it is now available for pre-order.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing this Lee.

EDIT: Release date is Wednesday 16th November (source: Madman's website).

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
FanCollector said:
For anyone interested, Madman is releasing season four of Quincy in November and it is now available for pre-order.
That´s great news but I´d probably would prefer when Season 4 will be released in the U.S. because Madman in Australia never offered English subtitles.
There are no subtitles for McCloud and Quincy either.
The U.S. set for Season 3 for instance has English subtitles.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Mr. Pacino said:
That´s great news but I´d probably would prefer when Season 4 will be released in the U.S. because Madman in Australia never offered English subtitles.
There are no subtitles for McCloud and Quincy either.
The U.S. set for Season 3 for instance has English subtitles.
That's a very good point, sadly it's often skipped and not a priority for most independents due to cost mainly. But for medical shows especially, it's pretty much essential that it features subtitles with all that doctor lingo flying about, I would think so anyway. Too bad virtually none of the smaller companies with licensed shows feature it, and that goes for all regions unfortunately.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
HenryDuBrow said:
That's a very good point, sadly it's often skipped and not a priority for most independents due to cost mainly. But for medical shows especially, it's pretty much essential that it features subtitles with all that doctor lingo flying about, I would think so anyway. Too bad virtually none of the smaller companies with licensed shows feature it, and that goes for all regions unfortunately.
Exactly.....-that´s the reason why I prefer subtitles.....
Another reason why I prefer it for this show is that sometimes Jack Klugman is hard to understand because he suffered on "throat cancer" by the time in the 70´s.
I read that his voice changed due to his illness.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Hopefully the gap between the Madman sets of Seasons 4 and 5 will be the same as between Seasons 3 & 4 (four months).

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Madman is great. They´ll continue to release "McCloud and now Quincy".
I read in this forum that they´ll also plan to release the Robert Wagner series "Switch" on DVD.
But I don´t know whether that´s true....

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino /t/242202/quincy-m-e-season-3-where-are-you/90#post_3846877
Madman is great. They´ll continue to release "McCloud and now Quincy".
I read in this forum that they´ll also plan to release the Robert Wagner series "Switch" on DVD.
But I don´t know whether that´s true....
I agree, but living here in the States it's a killer because of the conversion rate, and more so because of the high cost of shipping. I'd have a lot more of their dvds in my collection but for that.

Gary "I may have asked before, but do the McCloud dvds have the original Mancini openings?" O.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No, Gary. The NBC Mystery Movie openings are not included. Still looking for the post-Hec Ramsey ones somewhere, but no luck yet.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by FanCollector /t/242202/quincy-m-e-season-3-where-are-you/90#post_3847002
No, Gary. The NBC Mystery Movie openings are not included. Still looking for the post-Hec Ramsey ones somewhere, but no luck yet.
Thanks for the info, Lee. It's such a shame we aren't seeing the correct opening on so many of these sets. The Mancini theme is absolutely classic, and when I see any of these shows I feel like I'm viewing a cut episode when I don't get to watch and hear the NBC Mystery Movie opening. It's that important to me.

Gary "wish the Madman sets would go on sale but they never seem to" O.

whbos

Auditioning
Real Name
William Boswell
I know this is an old thread, but I decided to post anyway.
The episode about the football stadium with Diana Muldaur is called "Deadly Arena."
I recorded many of the episodes from Hallmark TV a few years ago only they were a little chopped up compared to what A&E ran many years ago. Hallmark skipped the episode, "The Money Plague" probably due to the content of the episode being so similar to what was going on at the time with terrorists in the US and elsewhere. I guess they didn't want anyone to get more ideas.
Many of the classic TV channels we have now were running Quincy. I would keep an eye on MeTV, THIS, and some of the others.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello William,

Welcome to the forum.
You can edit your own post to change a typo like that. Use the button with the pencil (beneath your post) to achieve that whenever you want!

Cees

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by whbos /t/242202/quincy-m-e-season-3-where-are-you/90#post_3851842
I know this is an old threat, but I decided to post anyway.
The episode about the football stadium with Diana Muldaur is called "Deadly Arena."
It's not really an old thread. Yes, there have been several replies, but the thread has been posted in recently. Mentioned the episode "Deadly Arena" briefly back in post #85. Diana Muldaur reprised her character Dr. Janet Carlyle in the seventh season two-parter "Slow Boat to Madness" (haven't seen those two episodes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks