What's new

"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you? (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Maybe Universal has exhausted the shows that met their first, preferred level of minimum sales, and have now decided to go back for a second pass at the next level of shows. Quincy was a pretty big hit in syndication, and probably sold fewer units than Columbo or Rockford, but more than Dragnet or Adam 12. It reminds me of Sony's sudden revivals of Barney Miller and Mad About You after years of waiting. If other titles aren't selling as you'd hoped, those old Quincy and Barney Miller figures might start to look attractive.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob Hug said:
It's just strange to me that Universal would release this when you consider all of the licensing that they have done with Shout!, Arts Alliance and Timeless Media. For me, the situation with "Quincy" is a bit analogous to "Adam-12" and I thought that if this series were to get a revival on DVD, that it wouldn't come directly from Uni, but rather through one of their licensees, Shout! being the most obvious.
I totally agree with you. That's a perfectly reasonable assumption to make (that it would come via a "rent out" rather than from the studio itself). Another mystery, I guess.
Gary "I've always found this series to be vastly underappreciated" O.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
What fabulous news! I agree with everyone else here. If Kojak, McMillian & Wife and McCloud continue I'll be buying those as well.

I think with Universal finishing Rockford, Incredible Hulk and Battlestar Galactica (later this year), they can now go back and pickup a few of the shows that they let slip through the cracks. Seriously, they just put out too much too quickly. They had to scale back somewhere so Quincy, McMillan, McCloud and Kojak were probalby the best choices.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Yeah honestly Im not a huge quincy fan but if this mean universal get back in the dvd game again Id love to see more Kojak, Equalizer and McCloud all sure buys for me.:emoji_thumbsup:

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I had forgotten about this series and just bought season 1 and 2. I had it at one time but lost it in a fire.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Perhaps this release may also have to do with CBS/P's The Odd Couple release, which obviously sold well since the whole series was released in under 2 years. Universal may have figured that there are some new Jack Klugman fans out there in addition to all the older ones, and therefore Quincy may be worth another shot (especially if the first set sold OK but not Rockford/Magnum levels).

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Hopefully Universal will release more Kojak and the rest of Black Sheep Squadron.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Universal seems to no longer be putting out doublesided flipper dvds. They got a lot of complaints and stopped the practice. See Magnum PI and Rockford Files in the later seasons. No flippers.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I wouldn't mind revisiting this show at all. Even at its worst, it was still entertaining to watch.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Nick Zbu said:
I wouldn't mind revisiting this show at all. Even at its worst, it was still entertaining to watch.
You are right, I prefer the early years as it got rather preachy toward the end, I prefered it when Quincy was more Detective and Less Medical cause champion.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Dave Scarpa said:
You are right, I prefer the early years as it got rather preachy toward the end, I prefered it when Quincy was more Detective and Less Medical cause champion.
I saw some episodes of "Quincy" a few years ago on a local station, and they were airing the later seasons. It was as enjoyable as I last watched it on A&E. So it never bothered me when he leaped into the "cause of the week".
Since Universal is releasing Season 3 (and I don't know if this is true for Seasons 1 & 2), it has been a concern for when (in fact) they did. I currently own three other classic TV-on-DVD from them (thankfully, this didn't happen with the first season of "Quantum Leap" or "Northern Exposure") and on the seventh season of "Magnum", there were abrupt cuts on the commercial breaks. So much so, that it took me right out of the episodes I was watching. I remember someone told me on one of the threads that they remove the breaks on the "Magnum" DVDs, but not this badly edited.
Is there any music used in this third season that Universal would incline to not clear? I hate to see the "music disclaimer" show up again.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
ChrisCook said:
Is there any music used in this third season that Universal would incline to not clear? I hate to see the "music disclaimer" show up again.
I don't think I've ever seen a music disclaimer on the back of any Universal TV show on DVD boxset. If I have then it's been very rare.
In the UK the first and second season boxset of Quincy, ME was released on single-sided discs. There was a strange thing with the moving menu screens though. Don't know if this happened on Region 1 in the US and Canada - there was a brief pause in the theme tune.
Haven't long read the TVShowsOnDVD news article about Season 3 coming out. This is the Region 1 DVD news of the month! I hope Universal bring Season 4 out before the end of the year. If they release it six months later (which was the usual gap between DVD releases for films and TV shows) they can squeeze it in before the end of this year in December. One of my favourite Quincy episodes (which I think I saw all of) is from Season 4, when former Mission: Impossible star Greg Morris guest-starred in a Halloween-themed story. Either that or it aired during Halloween in 1978.
Were the first and second seasons digitally remastered? I know most Universal TV releases haven't been remastered. Particularly with Magnum, p.i. (the colour looks pale compared to it's predecessor, also filmed in Hawaii, Hawaii Five-O).

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Dave Scarpa said:
Actually in the medical Pathology community and medical schools Qunicy M.E. is reviled because it was (even by tv standards ) a horribly un realistic show. And Qunicy hurt medical pathology community badly , when students found out that they wouldnt becoming a cross of pope (pontificating on a range of social ills) a miracle worker saving thousands form illness, and soap box preacher, med students drop out of the medical pathology programs by the droves and ask why was largely due to unrealistic expectations of what a medical examiner real duties are due to watching Quincy M.E. (I kid you not the show came up in hundreds of medical pathology programs exit interviews). One tv corner who is beloved by the medical examiner community is David McCallums NCIS character Donald "ducky" Mallard a combination of NCIS's producers, that they have real medical pathology consultant on call and David's extensive research (he's actually sat though several full blown autopsies) Ducky unlike Quincy portrays a very realistic view of what a medical examiners duties truly are. David won awards from medical examiner groups for his positive realistic portrayal pathologists and even has given a lecture at call Real to reel at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. And when students join medical school pathology programs and mention "ducky" was there fictional character who influenced there decision to became a pathologist they finnish , Quincy uhhh not so much;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
BobSchneider said:
Actually in the medical Pathology community and medical schools Qunicy M.E. is reviled because it was (even by tv standards ) a horribly un realistic show. And Qunicy hurt medical pathology community badly , when students found out that they wouldnt becoming a cross of pope (pontificating on a range of social ills) a miracle worker saving thousands form illness, and soap box preacher, med students drop out of the medical pathology programs by the droves and ask why was largely due to unrealistic expectations of what a medical examiner real duties are due to watching Quincy M.E. (I kid you not the show came up in hundreds of medical pathology programs exit interviews). One tv corner who is beloved by the medical examiner community is David McCallums NCIS character Donald "ducky" Mallard a combination of NCIS's producers, that they have real medical pathology consultant on call and David's extensive research (he's actually sat though several full blown autopsies) Ducky unlike Quincy portrays a very realistic view of what a medical examiners duties truly are. David won awards from medical examiner groups for his positive realistic portrayal pathologists and even has given a lecture at call Real to reel at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. And when students join medical school pathology programs and mention "ducky" was there fictional character who influenced there decision to became a pathologist they finnish , Quincy uhhh not so much;)
Well that maybe, but Quincy got all the babes to drink martini's on his boat.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
BobSchneider said:
Did the show get into some major crap with the Tourettes Syndrome episode? I recall there was some controversy about actual sufferers refusing to do the show, leading to a lot of actors badly mimicking the syndrome to hilarious effect?
Also, it's quite hard to see it today when Klugman still had his voice yet is preachy enough not to counter cigarette smoking while fighting for all these causes. Just saying.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I have a pal who determined while studying for the Bar exam if he could imagine Perry Mason doing something - he knew it wasn't the right answer.

MT108

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Turner
WaveCrest said:
One of my favourite Quincy episodes (which I think I saw all of) is from Season 4, when former Mission: Impossible star Greg Morris guest-starred in a Halloween-themed story. Either that or it aired during Halloween in 1978.
A Night To Raise The Dead
Dec. 7, 1978

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Dave Scarpa said:
Well that maybe, but Quincy got all the babes to drink martini's on his boat.
Hmmm yeah but DM's ducky was always a older character than Quincy and Quincy's hot chics were payed actresses ..... and JK's grey raccoon toupee blech! :P Honestly like I said Quincy was never my cup of tea Im just happy to see maybe Univerisal finally deceided got get off there buts and make some money with there large collection of classic tv shows. Honestly even in a recession tv series dvd box sets are a good deal, your favorite shows, you can mix and match espisodes form different seasons in any order you want, when you want, in a compact durable format. I'd love to see Kojak and McCloud come back from the dead (I would by every season released). Ive never understood why shows if not with full dvd box sets, why studios havent come up with some sort of download to burn formate , hey Ive got dsl, pc and dvd burner . I be will to pay up to 30.00 a full season (22 to 25 episodes) for download and burn yourself system. Oh well maybe some day.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks