What's new

"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you? (1 Viewer)

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
It is SO FRUSTRATING dealing with Universal TV releases! They have such a great back catalog, but so much of their stuff is "one and done":angry:
I would love more QUINCY, HARDY BOYS/NANCY DREW, INCREDIBLE HULK, NIGHT GALLERY, etc.
Are the sales really that bad?! It seems to me some profit is better than none. And I'm sure people would continue to buy them over the years (i.e., there will always be a new generation discovering the Hardy Boys).
I would just like these great shows to be given the proper respect they're due (and I would like us, the fans, treated respectfully, too!)

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
beatlejam said:
It is SO FRUSTRATING dealing with Universal TV releases! They have such a great back catalog, but so much of their stuff is "one and done":angry:
I would love more QUINCY, HARDY BOYS/NANCY DREW, INCREDIBLE HULK, NIGHT GALLERY, etc.
Are the sales really that bad?! It seems to me some profit is better than none. And I'm sure people would continue to buy them over the years (i.e., there will always be a new generation discovering the Hardy Boys).
I would just like these great shows to be given the proper respect they're due (and I would like us, the fans, treated respectfully, too!)
Well, I would love to see more ``Quincy'' and ``Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew'' (isn't there a new ``Hardy Boys'' comedy planned with Ben Stiller?) and I do have some hope for ``Incredible Hulk'' since they *finally* knuckled under last year and released Season 1 instead of that stupid best of collection, which I refused to buy. Universal still makes a lot of us :frowning: and :angry: at the same time!

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Yeh, you spoke about a new generation of the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew, now I haven't seen that as of yet, but I am in my late teens and I've discovered Quincy and I really want more of it released!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Here's one more frustrated viewer, who wants more "Quincy", one of the most popular 70s shows and only one release so far...!!!!! :frowning:

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Were there music edits in the R2 boxset of the first and second season of Quincy, ME?

Did Quincy, ME reach a natural end or was it cancelled because of low ratings? The last episode of the eighth and final season "The Cutting Edge" was a pilot for a spin-off that never happened.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Richard, please join the "Quincy, M.E." fans over on Shout! Factory's community forum in letting them know that we would like to have the remaining seasons put out and unedited. They have a licensing agreement with Universal, though they haven't said either way whether the studio would be willing to license the series to them.
Shout! Factory Community - Universal properties of interest?
I'm "macphoen" over there, BTW.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Chris, haven't long added some comments to the thread on Shout! Factory's forum about unreleased or stalled Universal series on DVD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
One of my favourite Quincy, ME episodes was the first episode with Diana Muldaur guest starring as a scientist or doctor. It was about a race against time to find the source of an outbreak of a disease/illness at a football stadium where an American Football game was soon to take place.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Me too, I feel though a show like this with many words from the medical world, should have the subtitle option. Something which SF! doesn't include, but Uni does. :/

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Was Quincy, ME cancelled at the end of the 1982-83 US TV season because of low ratings?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
What outstanding news!! Some great shows in this season, especially the last couple, "Double Death" and "Requiem for the Living". "Passing" and "Matters of Life and Death" are also excellent shows.

To answer the cancellation question, the show had had middling ratings almost from the beginning, but they had taken a dip that last year. I read that it was a combination of that plus Klugman's contract ending after that seventh year and his not particularly pursuing the negotiations to continue.

Maybe the sleeping giant, Universal, is stirring...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ah, excellent news! Looking forward to starting this series back up.

Gary "wacky, wacky stuff - this collecting TV shows on DVD" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
FanCollector said:
What outstanding news!! Some great shows in this season, especially the last couple, "Double Death" and "Requiem for the Living". "Passing" and "Matters of Life and Death" are also excellent shows.
Maybe the sleeping giant, Universal, is stirring...
I'm surprised that Universal is releasing this directly rather than licensing it to Shout! Factory or Arts Alliance America.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Likewise on the fact that this is direct from them, rather than licensed out.

If one or two other stalled titles follow on this ("Kojak", "McMillan And Wife" or please, please, "Dragnet"), then we'll see more than ample compensation for CBS/Paramount scaling back the rest of this year.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob Hug said:
I'm surprised that Universal is releasing this directly rather than licensing it to Shout! Factory or Arts Alliance America.
That is an astute and interesting observation, Bob. I just don't know what to make of it. But I'm glad they made the decision they did.
Gary "if only we could get them to begin releasing LITB again, I'd be truly ecstatic" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
That is an astute and interesting observation, Bob. I just don't know what to make of it. But I'm glad they made the decision they did.
Gary "if only we could get them to begin releasing LITB again, I'd be truly ecstatic" O.
It's just strange to me that Universal would release this when you consider all of the licensing that they have done with Shout!, Arts Alliance and Timeless Media. For me, the situation with "Quincy" is a bit analogous to "Adam-12" and I thought that if this series were to get a revival on DVD, that it wouldn't come directly from Uni, but rather through one of their licensees, Shout! being the most obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks