What's new

Quickie: Bury cables in ceilings, or surface conduit? (in an already finished room) (1 Viewer)

dimsumfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
About to mount a projector in a finished basement that is turning into my media room, and getting mixed messages. Some people say that I should hire someone to open holes in the ceiling to thread the HDMI cable through the joists from the receiver at the front of the room to the projector (about 15' back), whereas others says that I should run it through a surface conduit--just in case the cable fails or needs changing. Is that true? If I bury in the ceiling and do the drywall patches, which obviously would look cleaner and more professional, will I be in trouble, unable to fish out the cable?

Thanks!

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Depends on how important aesthetics are to you (or your wife). If you run smurf tube/conduit in-wall/ceiling with smooth bends the HDMI could be replaced in the unlikely event it fails - you may want to put a pull-string along in place too. Without a conduit it would be a difficult replacement pull as it would likely snag on the joists unless you leave a fairly roomy channel.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It also depends on the cost. You can use Wiremold, paint it afterward, and it will look pretty good. I recently used Wiremold for a project and painted it afterward to match the wall. Home Depot and Menards carries it by us.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
alternatively, depending on the layout of the room, and the overall length of the runs, you could also cheat most of the run by putting it in the crown molding around the ceiling...

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks