What's new

Quick X-Files Guide Please (1 Viewer)

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched 'Kill Switch' and 'Bad Blood' (both wicked)

I love the comedy type episodes they do (with bad blood being one) its good they can take the piss out of themselfs in contrast to the serious episodes.

Is there a list anywhere of all the comedy type episode's from each season?

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator
Season 5 is not one of my favorites, I felt Mulder and Scully were missing a lot, but "Bad Blood" is definitely a gem.
I also love "Folie a deux", "Pine Bluff Variant", "All Souls", "Chinga", & "Detour"
I hated "Travelers".

Other comedy episodes in season six onwards are: "Monday"(S6), "The Rain King"(S6), "Dreamland I & II"(S6), "Three of a Kind"(S6), "XCops"(S7), "Fight Club" (bad bad not very funny humor!!!)(S7), "The Amazing Maleeni"(S7), and I suppose "First Person Shooter"(S7) and "Je Souhaite"(S7), "Alone"(Season Eight), "Lord of the Flies" (S9), "Scary Monsters" (S9)(kinda), & finally "Sunshine Days" (S9).

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Have finished watching season 5 now, dont remember likeing it that much a few of my all time fav episodes.

Do i watch the film now? ;)

As some of you have said there were times when Mulder and Scully were missing a lot. Any particular reason for this, had they already decided to make the film.

Also the final episode 'the end' seemed like the end i didnt get the feeling there were going to be anymore. Had they not decided to do a season 6?

Now to get season 6 heard bad stuff but will make up my mind and have to get Lone Gunmen :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"Do i watch the film now?"

Yep, after Season Five you watch the movie and then start Season Six. You can think of Season Six as the best of times and the worst times. They did some classics and some real duds.

"Also the final episode 'the end' seemed like the end i didnt get the feeling there were going to be anymore. Had they not decided to do a season 6?"

Originally the plan for The X-Files was supposed to be five years of the show and then a series of movies. This changed when they realized that they could make more money:) Despite what some people seem to think, they knew that there was going to be a Season Six when they finished the fifth season. Probably the reason it feels more like an end is because they had to leave the fifth season without a cliffhanger so it fit easily into the movie (for the movie viewer who hadn't seen the show before) and because the movie was actually shot between the fourth and fifth seasons (before fifth season episodes were even written).

Season Five was the last season that they shot in Vancouver. Seasons Six through Nine were shot in Los Angeles.

DanielW

Grip
Jez, as for the reason for Mulder and Scully being missing a lot, the actors were off doing reshoots on the X-Files movies during those times. Like Travis said, they filmed the movie in between the fourth and fifth seasons, but the actors kept getting called away to work on it more, hence the Lone Gunmen episode, etc.

Also, I'd recommend waiting until around the 8th season to get The Lone Gunmen. While there are few references between the two shows (as far as events go...of course, many of the characters are the same), the last episode of The Lone Gunmen takes place between the 8th and 9th seasons of X-Files. Of course, I'm being slightly anal-retentive since it's not even a major continuance, but...well, you'll see.

Season Six is definately worth watching. The tone changes (seasons 6 and 7 seem more positive...not as dark) and that's probably directly attributable to the location change. But, there are some really good episodes there. I recall liking the first half of season 6, with episodes like "Triangle" and the two "Dreamland" episodes, but the latter half is fairly weak.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I always refer to Season Six as the season that didn't really happen since alot of episodes were either comedies or a 'It was a hullicantion/dream/etc' type of thing. Such as Triangle, Dreamland, Dreamland II, How The Ghosts Stole Christmas, The Rain King, Monday, Three Of A Kind, Field Trip, and to a lesser degree The Unnatural (in the sense that it was more of a comedic 'fairy' tale than a straight XF story).

For the record, just because they fall into my above category doesn't mean that I think they're bad. There's some real classics in that group.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm debating whether to get the upcoming Adbuction set. Anyone picking it up?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When I first heard about it, I was thinking that if I could find it cheap that maybe I would pick it up just to have all the XF DVD releases. I wasn't sure though.

Then I heard that there were five new commentaries on great old episodes and so I sent Fox and Chris Carter a blank check for the set:)

Call me a sucker but I want them commentaries!

Adam T

Agent
I would probably pick it up for the commentaries too. Probably buy it if it didn't have commentaries. In the last press release it said the new set was in widescreen not fullscreen. I thought it was a mistake too but there hasn't been a correction from fox. But then again they have been making their share of mistakes on information lately.

But those early myth episodes are some of the best. I hope they put a play all feature on the main menu for this set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
DVD Times has the episodes as 1.33:1 which is correct. Also, apart from the new commentaries, is a new documentary. Doesn't say how long it is, but it sounds interesting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about the aspect ratio either. Fox always seems to screw those up in their press releases. Heck, Harsh Realm is listed as 1.33 on its box and the discs are in the proper 1.78 so I'm not too worried:)

Adam T

Agent
Forgot about the new documentary. Probably be the traditional 30-45 minute documentary, unless they went all out on it like the 24 documentary on season 2. That would be sweet.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Right guys your ussual recomendations please on season 6 has i have it now.

The really good ones and the bad ones :)

As for the film i enjoyed it but i couldnt get round the fact it was a film, so although it carried on with the story i just felt separate if you get me :b

Thanks again for your recomendations :emoji_thumbsup:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"As for the film i enjoyed it but i couldnt get round the fact it was a film, so although it carried on with the story i just felt separate if you get me"

I know what you mean. One nitpicky thing in the movie that always stuck out to me such was Mulder cursing. Not that I mind cursing (quite the opposite actually) but since Mulder rarely curses on the show, hearing him say 'shit' a couple times in two hours was weird to me. The movie and the episodes had to be a little 'unconnected' to each other since they wouldn't be playing the movie in syndication. Plus, the aforementioned fact that the movie was made between the fourth and fifth seasons creates the unconnected feeling too.

Like I said, those are nitpicky complaints and I love the movie and can't wait for the next one.

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator
Season Six

"How the Ghosts Stole Christmas" "Monday" "Arcadia" "Milagro" "Field Trip" "Tithonus" are excellent.

"Aqua Mala" is kind of weak.

Oh, and take note on how annoyed Scully is with Mulder through most of the season and Mulder is actually kind of trying to be not such a jerk! These two themes stuck out to me this season.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I love season 6. BTW, there is always the conspiracy episode guide in my signature. If you like the monsters of the week, avoid the episodes on my(our) list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks