What's new

Quick X-Files Guide Please (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: the extras. rent it. i don't recall ever watching a bonus feature on a DVD more than once except for the beginning from episode i star wars.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Finished the series! Season 9 wasn't quite as bad as I remembered. I think I was mostly angry when these aired that the show couldn't go out with dignity.

It's still the weakest season but at least it filled in some gaps. The mythology kinda makes sense until you think about it for a few minutes. Then the inconsistencies drive you nuts.

Louis C

Supporting Actor

Yeah, season 9 was tough at times for me to watch. I don't even want to talk about season 7. Although I enjoyed most of season 8, the show ended for me at season 6 with the 'syndicate' climax.

I know it's 20-20 hindsight for me to say this, but Chris Carter should have ended the TV show then, and built an legacy of just motion pictures, or changed the show to just a MOTW format.

Don't get me wrong. A bad season of X-files is better than a good season of most other shows. It's just that seasons 7-9 kind of spoiled the mythology for me.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
I just started season 9, haven't seen it since they were on tv. this is much better than I remember, I could definatly see this show going on after mulder and scully. Season 8 was very up and down, I didn't like the Dogget Scully partnership, but it got good once Mulder came back. There were many stand out episodes on that one but the down ones were down, Dogget was good, I just didn't like him w/ Scully.

Also watched Lone Gunman all the way through on Saturday before season 9 and man what a great little show, it sucked to see it go, they really left you hanging.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Don't forget to buy the failed Lone Gunmen spinoff series, which aired during The X-Files' 8th season early in 2001. It's kind of average, which is why I've been putting off purchasing the set myself but the show had its moments. Obviously those guys were better off in small doses...but not with their own show.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator

Well worth it, I loved seeing those guys on the show and it was great to se them get thier own, I wish it lasted longer.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i dunno, they were ok in small doses... but i don't think it was enough to carry an entire series =).

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
Well.. I think they would have gone with a full season at least.. - i think it was only 12-15 episodes if im not mistaken?

Bough the set while I was finishing up X-Files season 8

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'm always puzzled when people say that the writing in the later seasons went south.

I'm towards the end of my all-encompassing year-long Ten Thirteen marathon (all four shows in strict airdate order) with only 10 episodes left to go and the only significant loss of writers that the show ever experienced was the loss of Glen Morgan & James Wong after season 4 (though they were showrunners on season 2 of "Millennium" the following year).

Aside from Morgan & Wong all the "big name" writers such as John Shiban, Vince Gilligan and Frank Spotnitz stuck with the show until the end and I've seen some of their best work in seasons 8 & 9.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I picked up all the new releases as they came out this year and have been slowly enjoying them (about 1 episode per night 4-5 nights per week). I'm just starting season 8 myself (haven't seen it since it aired). 3 episodes in. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Dogget. It sucks having Mulder gone, but Dogget brings a freshness to the show and stirs up what was becoming stale.

Also put me down as someone who thought The Lone Gunmen died a premature death. I really enjoyed that show and hated to see it go. I also liked Harsh Realm, but couldn't stand Millennium for some reason. I watched the entire first season and just couldn't get into it. I might have to give it another shot at some point just to see if my tastes have changed since then.

I've owned The Lone Gunmen since release day, but haven't picked up Harsh Realm yet. The Gunmen was an easy purchase since they're very stand alone. But I'm not sure I'm ready to be drug back into the Harsh Realm world only to be left hanging again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Harsh Realm is a show I've loved since seeing the first episode. Since it was a virtual world, it seemed like it had the ability to do something new each week. I can see how it didn't catch on (even if Fox had been 'generous' enough to run more than three episode and given it a better timeslot, I don't think it would've been a hit) but I think Harsh Realm could have been a great show.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Well its been over 3 years since i started this thread and you good folks guided me through the seasons.

I am not re-watching and upto season 5 and i remembered how great it was reading along at the time time, so i searched out this thread and have been reading it for the last half hr, awesome.

Still enjoying it, might re-watch them every 3 years :D

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
every ep? :laugh:

actually i've been rewatching XF myself since last fall, i'm on season7 now ep15 an ami. i'm always surprised how much more season7 dealt with God issues than all previous seasons combined. perhaps due to millennium influences? anyways, each episode is still rich and incredibly shot, written, acted, etc.

while i was going through last fall sometime, i realized that i had actually never watched a single ep of season2!!!! and what really got to me is that i experience it for the first time and it was GLORIOUS! it's still my fav. season of every season of XF. i started watching XF as it came on broadcast every week since mid season3 i think. i must've missed about 1 or 2 episodes all the way through season9 because i remember watching every single ep so far. but i definitely missed 2 altogether. it was the perfect combination of mythology and monster of the weeks.

i hope to finish season9 just in time for XF2 the movie!!! =D

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Just re-watching S7 'Closer' after all these years.

So i'm assuming Mulders sister is dead, part of kids taken before something horrible in their life happens. Who takes them though, or do they just die?

I'm sure i remember why from when i first watched but cannot now :frowning:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i just finished season8, onto season9! i'm on ep2 and the title really makes sense, "nothing really happens" in the episode for shizzle. same with another episode later on in season9 "jump the shark" carter seems to know that it is definitely the end of the journey and has a little fun with this season, which is all over the place.

having said that, i still liked season8 a lot. the mark snow theme for scully's character's place in life is just so damn incredible. i wish snow would release a followup to his XF seasons1-3 score!!! there have been a LOT of material from 4-9 that can be released on a few albums and i'd luv to buy them, but boy season8's haunting theme is awesome. a nice opening and closing of the season8. i think they should have just ended the series right on that last episode of season8.

but then we wouldn't have seen that john dogget episode for his own closure. i'd've liked to have seen more of reyes though, despite fan's hatred for her character =P.

and lucy lawless is still hawt (pre-BSG) in this ep =D. i think she loox hotter here and on BSG than on xena.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks