What's new

Quick X-Files Guide Please (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think a lawsuit neccesarily means there's no movie. Duchovny sued Fox during Season Seven when he was still a lead on the show and he came back for half the episodes of Season Eight and the series finale. While it may not speed up the progress on a second XF movie, if Fox thinks they can make money with it they'll let by-gones be by-gones.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The first movie "The X-Files" (although in print it was subtitled "Fight the Future" was disappointing. I don't see how a sequel could be any worse, and I loved the TV series (one of my favorites, and I have the re-releases on DVD).

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I thought the film was good - the problem was trying to create a standalone film that boths fans and newcomers could watch as well as fit between seasons 5 and 6. I think they have the opportunity to make a far better film now the series has finished. It really needs to be set during the series rather than after the events of the series and have nothing to do with the alien conspiracy etc.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If a new X-Files film is made this year, it should be set in 2006 and not 2002. A sequel would work best, as there will always be government conspiracies. There could be another group of aliens from another planet. I'm not saying that a new X-Files movie has to be about aliens. It could be a horror film too, but there is a greater realm of suspense when crooked Department of Defense officials are somehow involved. Whichever route is taken, Duchovny's sense of humor well offset the no-nonsense approach of Robert Patrick of Doggett. I also felt that Annabeth Gish was an asset to the show in the last two years as well. And it wouldn't be the same without Skinner. Mitch isn't in every episode of Stargate: Atlantis. With or without Chris Carter, bring them all back!

Besides, Gillian looks a lot better now with the longer, blonde hair. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The last rumor that I heard was that the sequel is a stand alone monster of the week style story rather than a conspiracy story.

I think the first movie is great too. My only gripe is that I wish they could've connected Season Five and the movie a little better but since the movie was produced prior to Season Five, it couldn't be done. One of the great things about it is how accesible it is to non-fans as well as hardcore fans.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
While I enjoyed Doggett and Reyes in the TV show, I think they should stay out of the movies, at least for now. The biggest asset to the show was Duchovny and Anderson and their chemistry and I would much prefer that a 2 hour film focuses on this rather than trying to introduce other characters for what will essentially amount to either cameos or, if not, give less time for focusing on the main characters. If they start reeling in countless characters from the show its going to limit the appeal of the film to fans only. That was one of the problems with the final episode to Season 9.

I also think the alien aspect has been covered so much in The X Files that they need to go more for a stand alone feel and go for horror rather than sci-fi. Doesn't mean there can't be shadowy government or corporate officials involved :). More Mulder and Scully (especially Scully :) ) and more horror!!!! (Home, Squeeze, Tooms, The Calusari)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Doggett and Monica wouldn't have to take away the spotlight from Mulder and Scully at all. Since they were already established from the last 2 years of the show, and that our heroes deal with more than their fair share of fellow FBI agents anyhow,it makes sense.

Plus they can work as supporting characters and fit into a film quite well, when you consider that Bob and Annabeth have years more experience in features than television to begin with. Particulatly Patrick, who recently had a small but important role in Harrison Ford's "Firewall" (where their 2 characters both worked for the same bank). :)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

To fans like us yes! But not to the general public who's knowledge of the X Files would be Mulder, Scully, aliens, shadowy government and thats about it (maybe lots of cigarettes). There's a moment in the X Files film when Scully says "Mulder when I left behind a career in medicine....." or on the roof of the building when she says "They've closed the X Files" and I was thinking "info dump" for those who don't watch the series. Fox are going to want a film that appeals to everyone and we are going to end up with lots of lines like "Hello Agent Doggett, thanks for taking over the X Files when I got abducted by aliens and then looking for me and then carrying on when I went on the run" Ok maybe not as crap as that, but you get the idea.

And if they simply turn up as supporting characters you can guarantee that those who followed the show would criticize their lack of involvement or not explaining in the film who they are or why they are in the position they are in now. No win situation really - better to leave them out of this one. At best Id put Mitch Pileggi and William Davis in since they had quite regular appearances in the first few seasons yet were supporting roles anyway at that time.

Id just like an X Files film that is really creepy, lots of flashlights :) and doesn't focus too much on the larger plot or characters of the TV series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought Robert Patrick was a truly great and underrated addition to the show but I doubt he'll be in the movie. Like Simon said (no joke intended), there would be too many characters and too much info to give out if they tried to have Doggett and Reyes in the movie. Maybe they could give Dogget and Reyes semi-cameos, the same way they did with the Lone Gunmen and Skinner in the first movie.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

It's The X-Files. If they want the Lone Gunmen to appear, they'll find a way. With that said however, I doubt they'll want them badly enough to figure out a way around the problem. :frowning:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I doubt they would bring back Byers, Frohike, and Langley a.k.a The Lone Gunmen, as fun as those guys were to watch. What did you say? Duplicates? :) The cloning thing had already been played out in several episodes beginning with the Colony / End Game 2-parter.

Sure this is sci-fi and anything is possible in the world of The X-Files, but there are some characters that just aren't likely to be revived (literally). ;)

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I would love to see the LG back in the sequel, it would just be too cheesy if they "found a way" to show that they never died or something to that extent. Same goes for Krycek and CSM. Unfortunatley they are all going to have to be restricted solely to flashbacks if they are to appear in the sequel at all. That is unless they throw in some goofy time travel stuff in there or if the movie is a prequel...which would just suck.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Im not sure a prequel would suck in the sense that they should set in the period during Seasons 1-7. The standalone film allows them to do this. The resolution to the series means that a film that continues after is going to have to spend a bit of time getting Mulder and Scully into their respective roles again as well as explaining to non-fans why they aren't in the FBI in the first place.

Plus setting a film during the series leaves them the opportunity to use what characters they think they might need, like CSM for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks