What's new

Quick questions about Alien 3 (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Perhaps an improved cut will solve a few things for some people in AQ. Then again, it will never be everyone's cup O tea. A3's gruesome setting is an acquired taste.
For a bigger challenge try Brad Doriff's `What A Beautiful Baby' in A4. Chomp!
As for the eggs, I don't need all the facts on a platter. Great stories tend to leave space for you to think.

JMOpinion

E

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
This might sound weird to some people, but I love Alien³ as a movie by itself, but hate what it did to the series.
The score by Elliot Goldenthal is incredible. Some of his best work.
I actually liked the story itself. I thought it was a tense little claustrophobic thriller that had quite a few scares, an interesting alien design and some very intense characters.
However, killing off Newt and Hicks was a horrible idea. It completely invalidates the entire Aliens film. As a viewer I cared about whether or not Newt and Hicks made it, and to have them killed off unceremoniously during the opening credits was less than the characters deserved. Want to kill them off? Fine, do it midway through the movie. At least give them a chance to have their deaths mean something. If it was a case of the actors not wanting to do the movie, they should have come up with a way to get them out of the story without killing them.
Killing off Ripley at the end of the movie actually fit with what her character would do in that situation. The problem is, they had to know they were going to make more Alien movies and that they would feel they couldn't do one without Ripley, so why even write yourself into that corner?

John Doran

Screenwriter
However, killing off Newt and Hicks was a horrible idea. It completely invalidates the entire Aliens film.
i still have absolutely no idea why this would be true.

i mean, i understand why their deaths would be disappointing to some people - hell, i love hicks - but i have no idea why their having died in the manner they do in alien 3 would actually invalidate anything at all.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm with John. If they opened Alien3 with Ripley waking up in her escape craft from the Nostromo and the entirety of Aliens was a dream, that I would concede invalidates the previous film.

But as it stands now, they destroyed the Alien hive and jettisoned the screaming queen into space. She rescued Newt from a terrible death either by nuclear fire or having an alien burst from her chest. Instead, she was able to lay her to rest with the promise of dreaming without nightmares in what unfortunately turns about to be as much a burial as it was an extended sleep.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
But as it stands now, they destroyed the Alien hive and jettisoned the screaming queen into space. She rescued Newt from a terrible death either by nuclear fire or having an alien burst from her chest. Instead, she was able to lay her to rest with the promise of dreaming without nightmares in what unfortunately turns about to be as much a burial as it was an extended sleep.
If the series was coherent from one movie to the next, which I'll admit it wasn't even from Alien to Aliens in some ways, why bother saving anyone? Why not just have them all die in a horrible explosion at the end of Aliens? Was there any character advancement between the end of Aliens and Alien3? Did the deaths of Newt and Hicks mean anything? Did it accomplish anything? Did it change anything about Ripley? Yes, in my opinion it did. It completely reversed any character development Ripley had undergone in Aliens. She went from not believing or trusting in anything to finding a purpose in Newt and to a lesser extent Hicks. She saved Newt and felt like she'd accomplished something, like there what she did meant something. Then after Newt is killed she spends the rest of Alien3 moping around like she was in the apartment at the beginning of Aliens. No direction, no motivation.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Just when you thought 3 was bad, 4 comes out. Whoo that was terrible. Then when you thought the series was dead, they are going to throw Predator in the mix! Why not throw freddy and Jason in there as well. In 6 I hope we see Chucky vs Ripley, then after that we can have Critters and Gremlins vs the Cat in the first two movies. After a few more video games and some more DVD sales on the 6 pack, hopefully we can have some more good fun. They should probably run the series in the ground just like they do the campy horror franchises. Just when you think it's over, you find some mindless guy to write an even worse script that will pull a little more money out of the hopefull fans, the ones that think "maybe this will will bring life into the series again!"

Ok I'm bitter.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
He say they wrecked his script. And he at least liked the first two movies, which is the same as most fans.
While Joss Whedon's script is somewhat different from the movie the overall story isn't that far off. From the interviews I've read he usually comes across as more than a little whiny about the apparent "atrocities" directors have committed against his scripts and revisions.

BTW, you did notice the ;), right?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
If the series was coherent from one movie to the next, which I'll admit it wasn't even from Alien to Aliens in some ways, why bother saving anyone? Why not just have them all die in a horrible explosion at the end of Aliens? Was there any character advancement between the end of Aliens and Alien3? Did the deaths of Newt and Hicks mean anything? Did it accomplish anything? Did it change anything about Ripley? Yes, in my opinion it did. It completely reversed any character development Ripley had undergone in Aliens. She went from not believing or trusting in anything to finding a purpose in Newt and to a lesser extent Hicks. She saved Newt and felt like she'd accomplished something, like there what she did meant something. Then after Newt is killed she spends the rest of Alien3 moping around like she was in the apartment at the beginning of Aliens. No direction, no motivation.
I couldnt agree more!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You are still damned to an eternity of "I Robot You Jane" Allan :)

The thing is that Joss had the first Buffy movie drastically altered on him, and then he was in a position to very publically complain, same with Alien 4. Most writers don't get that

What REALLY gets changed is that when he has a line in his head, he also has the delivery, and he's had bad experiences with that, VERY bad. (People's favorite and most hated lines in X-Men are both Joss'. The "Toad" line is a result of poor delivery)

While the overall STORY of Alien 4 wasn't changed. Delivery and characterization that he intended WAS changed. And if you know Whedon's scripts, that is the heart and soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks