What's new

Quick Broadband question (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My browsers (IE & Firefox) cannot connect to anything. COMCAST customer service dudes say they can see my modem just fine, and are trying to blame my PC. Meanwhile, the PC claims to see a LAN connection...

This has been going on for 2 weeks now, internet would vanish for hours at a time... and come back on it's own.

My question is, assuming my PC is the issue, would I be able to access the internet without a hassle if I just plugged the modem into my friend's laptop? Would I have to modify her connection settings? (She uses DSL).

Thanks.

4 years ago I would have known the answer to this question, but I don't fiddle with these things any more...

--
H

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Well let's start simple:

Open up a command prompt: start->run-> type "cmd" intp the box and hit the enter key

In the prompt type in: ipconfig
Tell us what it puts out.

There should be a number next to the word "gateway"
type in the prompt: ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the number that was listed to the right of gateway.
Tell us what it returns

Hopefully this gives us something to start with.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
check your machine for viruses and such, if your just connecting into the modem without any firewalls on or anything, thats just silly.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
If you're running a tool like Norton Internet Security, and it's expired, you may find that you can get an ipconfig, hell, you can even ping sites.. but you won't be able to get out because port80 is blocked. Check and see if you have connected firewalls.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I experienced similar problems recently with using Comcast and I could not figre out why the modem quit working intermittently. I plan to exchange the modem later this week.

Once I rebooted the cable modem (use a ballpoint pen, push in the little button in back of the modem for about 6 seconds) and restarted my PC all the cable modem diode lights came back on and I was running virus software and back online again.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
every now and again i'll have to cycle my cable modem because the internet will quit working for no apparent reason. i just unplug the modem, count to 5, and plug it back it.

kevin t

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I have Comcast, and every once in a while the internet would cut out. I fix it by pressing the little restart button on the back of the modem for 5 seconds, and it works just fine right after that.

Also, Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup help a lot when your internet is running slow. Both come with Windows.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
its a common problem with comcast, the modems they rent too you are junk. do yourself a favor and buy a motorola surfboard modem and get rid of your modem fee, and you wont have anymore connection issues.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Holadem:

I agree with the above. First reboot your modem as stated above and then go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. and get a new one and replace the one you have.

Parker

konzne

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett Montana
To answer your question :

Yes it would work if it was indeed a pc issue. Which i do not think it is, so i dont think your buddys laptop would work either.

SO if it doesnt work on his laptop, thats a definite problem. port 80 is being blocked. If you have AOL, AIM, Or MSN try to open one of those and see if they work as they run off a different port. If they do work, then a firewall is blocking port 80.

Do an ipconfig, and get your routersIP. Log into your router and try turning down the firewall. More often than not the IP looks like :

in which case you would type h-t-t-p://192.168.254.254 (without the -'s) into your web browser. Try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks