What's new

Questions re: Sony KDL40S4100 (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have my eye on this at Circuit City, where it is currently on sale for under $1100. Online reviews of this are scant, so I am hoping a few of you own these and can answers some of my questions. Purchasing a set like this is, for me, like buying a house is for others: a major purchase. I don't want to blow it! In the interest of full disclosure, I already purchased a Sony Blu-ray player (BDP-S301), but not necessarily with the intention of matching it with a Sony monitor, although I understand there is a 24-frame "True Cinema" setting that can be used when the two are combined. My questions:

1] How is the black level? When on display, it is hard to tell, as the lighting in the store is pretty intense. I did notice in a side-by-side comparison that it looked better in this regard than the LG 42," and was told by a sales person that LG is not good with black levels anyway. Are Sony's considered good? What I want is a set that delivers jet black pillar and letterbox bars for widescreen and 1:33:1 movies, with gorgeous contrast and black levels for classic black and white movies.

2] How good is the scanning? The LG boasts a rate of 4ms, but to my rather greenhorn eyes, the LG did not appear to be leaps and bounds better at minimizing pixelation during onscreen movement. Don't know what the Sony scanning speed is... Would it look less pixelated with DVD's run with the 24 fps "True Cinema" setting?

3] If I decided to invest an additional four or five hundred (or whatever) for a 46" inch model, would I be losing out of any of the qualities of the 40"? I like an immersive picture. I live in a small space and like sitting fairly close to my t.v. screen. But I don't want to sacrifice quality for size.

4] Are Sony's generally considered "right up there" in terms of overall quality, reliability, customer service and all?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

marcIs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
marc turcotte
As i am in sales. I see a lot of these tv side by side. The s ser, is towards there entry level. If you were to step up,take a look at the v line it uses the better proceser and can do xxvd colour. I find the light out put on the s to be a bit much, and when turned down this can change the entire image. as for the blacks there ok better then sharp or toshiba. I bought a sony 46 w last year, and does not have 120hz not that I care. I also own a bdps 500. and the 24 fps looks GOOD. This is a good starter tv or up grade from you may have, but I do find the tv to have a response issue, as i has a tendency to lag. Over for its price I would give it a 7 out of ten.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks