What's new

Questions: LCD Sony KDF-60XBR950 (1 Viewer)

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Geometry problems is where the screen doesn't show straight lines as perfect straight lines. Many tvs have this problem and i'm just wondering how common it is on the XBR sets.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
As in, they look slightly curved, as opposed to flat, or they get the "jaggies"? I haven't noticed a problem with geometry in the screen image being somewhat "contoured", and if it's jaggies (which I don't think you are referring to) that's a signal issue.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
No, not jaggies.

When you watch a 2:35 movie on the set does the top border of the movie dip down in the middle. Almost like the middle of the image is being "pinched"? If so, that is bad geometry and i've now seen 2 of these sets in the stores and both had a bowing at the top half of the screen.

So, i'm a little worried that i'm going to get one of these suckers into my house and notice this problem and there is no way to fix it besides getting a new set delivered.

I'm pretty picking about things like geometry and thats why I instantly noticed it in the store demos. :D

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
I have not noticed this issue. If it is the case, there's always the replacement option until they get it right. In the mean time, you've got the TV. This may seem obvious, but have you tried sitting in front of them? I've noticed a lot of TVs with this problem, but when sitting it's not. Of course, who wants to settle?

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
One last question Dan. :) I'm probably going to buy my 60" tonight.

I stiill don't understand your description of an "effervescent glimmer that's in the shield". First off, what does an "effervescent glimmer" look like? Second, what is the shield?

Lastly, you describe yourself as being "very finicky" about picture quality but then you say you're using a DVD player hooked up via s-video. :D I was just wondering why you wouldn't spend a couple hundred on a good progressive player and hook it up using component cables? It would certainly improve the image quality you're seeing with DVDs.

Danny

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Danny-

Exciting stuff, man! To answer your question... I don't know that I can really answer it. You just have to see it. If you have an LCD computer screen, you can see it. It's not necessarily the "shield", more the screen. It's just very noticeable to me on bright colors. If you don't see it, no worries.

As per the S-Video, it's called "no permission to spend another 2500-4k on a new DVD Player, receiver and speakers". See, I've got an early Dream System- which obviously doubles as receiver, DVD player and speakers. If I replace that, I've got to replace the whole thing. So, I live with the subprime image for now. Believe me, I'm chomping at the bit for it, but after 5k on the TV, that's a hard sell to the lady friend.

There you have it.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, cool.

Just so you know. You can buy a really nice DVD player for about $300. The Denon 910 is a very nice player and it retails for $299.

I picked up an XP30 from someone on a message board for $250 and it suppose to be one of the finest DVD players ever made. It certainly looks amazing to me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks