What's new

Questions concerning progressive scan , svga etc. (1 Viewer)

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
Can video be progressively scanned twice.
If it comes out of a progressive scan player then through a video converter that also does progressive scan, does it get scanned twice ? Or am I way out ?

Can you get poor quality progressive scanning capabilies.

If I get a cable that starts with component and put an adapter on that goes from three phono's to svga will my projector recognise it as svga input.
Also does vice versa work, an svga adapter to three phono's, will my projector recognise it as component.

Thanks.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Progressively scanned twice?
Yes and no. Converting to progressive scan twice is one way of describing the correct procedure for a device called a line quadrupler. (The ideal strategy for the second doubling is different and much simpler than that for the first). The result for NTSC is 960p, and very few consumer TV sets accept that, so very few line quadruplers are sold on the consumer market.

But you may not feed into a "video converter that also does progressive scan" i.e. a de-interlacer, a video signal that it does not accept. Typical U.S. de-interlacers accept only ordinary interlaced NTSC video signals, or 480i.

Poor quality progressive scanning capabilities?
Yes you can end up with this if you don't shop carefully. For example I was told that a Pioneer 434 DVD player gives progressive scan which is far from good.

Start with 480p component video and go from three RCA phono jacks to SVGA using just a cable? No you won't get an acceptable SVGA signal although in most cases you will get a steady and intelligible but highly discolored picture on a regular VGA monitor. An electronic device called a color space transcoder is needed. (What do you think should happen if you feed red, white and blue into a TV or monitor that assumes that it is getting red, green and blue?)

A few DVD players output, and a few TV's (and projectors) accept, either component or VGA with a manual switch or menu selection.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I ask about the SVGA input is because my projector Panny AE100, is showing an image with vertical outlines around all foreground objects. I've tried 3 different players, a cheap player, a middle of the road Sony and a Denon 2800 MK2. The only way I can get a good picture is from my laptop through the SVGA input. I think the only way I'm going to get what I want is my Denon through SVGA input.
I've found one these, is it what I need ?

"SYNCBLASTER COMPONENT TO RGB TRANSCODER
The C2RGB can convert from an RGB input to a component (Y Pb Pr) output, or, at the push of a switch from a component (Y Pb Pr) input to an RGB output. It can cater for sync on green or composite sync input and also provide sync on green or composite sync output. LED indicators provide useful information on the type of signals present and which process is being performed. Its been designed to be installed “in-line” with the signal path and has SCART input and output connectors to make connection simple. Its provided complete with a UK mains adaptor and a KA150 scart to 3 phono adaptor."

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Before you buy the transcoder, check the following:

1. Is there a "sharpness" control on the projector? If so, adjust it downwards to see if the vertical outlines go away.

2. Try a different video cable(s) from DVD player to projector to see if the vertical outlines go away.

3. Put a computer into 640x480 regular VGA display mode and see how clear the picture is on your projector. SVGA projectors accept both 800x600 (SVGA) and 640x480 (regular VGA), but one may look better than the other.

I am not familiar with the Syncblaster units but you should check to be sure that the transcoder you buy handles the scan rate desired, which is 480p for NTSC progressive scan players and it will cause the projector to autoselect 640x480.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that it was a sharpness problem at first, my projector sharpness is set to 0 amd my player is set on -6 sharpness but I still get added lines.
I've tried different short expensive cable but made no difference.
I tried my laptop DVD player on it and it looked right, then I tried Composite and S-Video through my video converter using the SVGA input and they looked right as well, which leaves me to think that I'm only going to get a good picture from the SVGA input.

Using my video converter when set on 640x480 the picture looks blocky, on 800x600 it looks good on 1024x??? it looks at its best for Laserdisc and TV.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys,

I've noticed that the new Malata DVD player will have a VGA output.
Will that give a better pic. on my Mits Diamond which has a VGA input than through the component in? Also, this IS a prog. scan player but does it output prog. through the VGA or only interlaced, thus relying on the line doubler in the Mits...

Thanx! D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks