What's new

Questions about tomorrow's Warner chat protocol! (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
I'm a bit confused by the instructions.

Okay, so once I've logged on to the Applet with my real name, how do I signal or know when I'm allowed to type in my question?

I don't want to accidentally talk out of turn or 'whisper' to anyone and get thrown out of the chat, so what's the scoop?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
During the chat, Ron will give everyone an opportunity to "yo" in to get a place in the question queue. He will take the top ten (?) names as they appear on his screen, and those folks will get a chance to ask a question.

You will not be able to post a question until you are given the ability to do so by the moderators.

Do not "whisper" to the mods or the guest, or you will be turfed.

There is usually a second IRC channel that people can chat about the chat in.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
On Ron's signal you type "yo" and hit "enter" or "send"

The whisper function is a separate feature that let's you send a message directly to another individual in the chat based on their ID, without anyone else seeing the message. In the past folks have abused the system by "whispering" questions to the guest and/or the moderators as a way of by-passing the question queue. Also note that order in which the names show up on Ron's display can be different from what each of us sees - so someone who "yo'd" in "after" you (on your list) may end up asking a question when you didn't. That doesn't mean Ron is playing favorites, it just means that the names showed up in a different order on his screen.

Why do I get the feeling there are going to be a lot of "Visa Checkcard" jokes this year? :)

Regards,

Joe

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yo
Yao
Yo---gi

I'm sure Ron will ignore anything that's not a real "Yo". :)

The biggest protocol to remember is courtesy to our guests (and to our staff, who go through a lot to put these together). Don't dis them or what the guys from the studio say: it only discourages chats and/or straight answers. If you don't like what they have to say, it's probably okay to say so afterward in simple, general terms. But be polite about it (because you can be sure they're reading it) and BE SURE TO FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE ASPECT OF THE CHAT. I mean, for every "too bad" there's got to be 3 or more "oh, cool!" points in there, right?

Let's make Ron and Packy proud of us!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The other thing to remember, is have a text editor open, and type your question ahead of time-- and popy/paste it onto the line to send it when it is your turn. That way the guest doesn't have to wait 0 seconds for you to type the question- and keeps things moving.

But like the others said:

The room will be locked, in moderated mode, so no one will be able to talk except the moderator and the guest. Ron will announce it is time to "YO", and the room will be unmoderated.

You type YO and hit enter. It will post to the room, and Ron will take the first few people (on his end, you will probably see a different order due to the fact that the server lags a little).

When it's your turn, the moderator will unlock you and allow you to talk. You post your question, they answer, and then you are once again locked so you can't talk.

After 5- people ask questions, Ron opens the floor to YO's again, and it starts over.

-Vince

Jodee

Screenwriter
I really wish late-comers wouldn't be allowed to ask questions. I cringe whenever I read the transcripts for these chats and the same question is asked over and over again, often with the disclaimer "Sorry if this has been asked already, but..."

It takes time away from other questione that could be asked and I would imagine it is quite frustrating for the studio rep who has to keep repeating himself.

It just seems like it is common sense if you haven't been there to know if the question was asked or not you shouldn't be posing the question.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Since we're on the topic of the Warner Chat for tonight can someone please chime in and ask Warner about their support of DTS?

Thanks!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Troy: here's a preview- "No" :)
Same goes for the Snapper question :)

When I come in late, I always ask around if my Q has been asked. Others should do the same, any and all feel free to message me tonight to ask so we don't waste questions.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Other responses to plan on hearing:

"Needs restoration"
and
"We have no plans at this time."

:D Seriously, though, it's great that Warner will take the time to talk to us, especially with the killer lineup of catalog material that they've announced. This should be one of our happier chats, especially with them.

But please, don't bother asking about DTS or snapper cases. You know what the answer is.

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
But please, don't bother asking about DTS or snapper cases. You know what the answer is.
Well, uh, no. I don't know where Warner stands on DTS. They did release a few (Lethal Weapons, Twister, Interview with the Vampire, True Romance, Twin Peaks:FWWM), but that's been all. Did they have a bad experience? What? Will they NEVER do them again? Fill me in!!!

Maybe Warner will go the way of New Line...drop their current cases, add more titles with DTS support, strengthen (read: be consistent) their extra features, and come up with something brilliant like Infinifilm. :D

Anyway, I can't knock Warner too much, afterall, they helped pave the way for DVD, and helped build my collection right off the bat in 1997. ;)

Chris

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, uh, no. I don't know where Warner stands on DTS. They did release a few (Lethal Weapons, Twister, Interview with the Vampire, True Romance, Twin Peaks:FWWM),
The LW movies, Vampire and Twister were "test cases" and since DTS didn't up the sales (and yes, we're not going to mention the fact they were basically unmarked or advertised) it's out. True Romance was a distribution deal, not Warner proper, and Twin Peaks is a New Line title.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I just want to know when they will be releasing the animated Superman: Last Son of Krypton. I think that it's the last of the "feature-length" VHS movies not on DVD.

If I don't get a chance to ask, I hope someone else will (hint, hint)...

That and the upcoming Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman...I'd love to know when that's supposed to be out...

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
And of course it'd be nice to find out the status of a restored version of NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS...

It sure would be a good idea to re-record the scenes that are missing dialogue while the actors are still alive...Because once snother actor in that cast dies, chances of a restoration are totally kaput.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, the DTS and Snapper questions were asked anyway, and the answers were "No." and "No." :rolleyes

Warner appeared to be completely unaware of the NODS restoration, Darren, so contact should probably be made with them ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks