What's new

Questions about HDTVs (1 Viewer)

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking of getting a new TV this summer and I have a few questions that I hope some of you could answer. I will be getting a new DVD player (progressive scan) as well and I'm leaning towards the Denon 2900.

1. Are most sets HD upgradeable? If I'm going to eventually get a DirectTV PVR that can handle HDTV should I care if the TV has HDTV or will one that is HDTV ready work?

2. Any advice on getting a RPTV or a CRT? I don't really need a super big TV so I'm looking in the 30" - 46" range. I am concerned about the weight so I'm leaning towards the RPTV but would like input on one vs. the other.

3. I'm want to spend $2000 - $2500. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Sonys but I'm open to other brands.

4. Are there any inputs that I should look for (i.e. DVI, etc). I'm not going to ever have a video game box. I'll mainly be watching satellite TV and DVDs.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
3. I'm want to spend $2000 - $2500. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Sonys but I'm open to other brands.
The Panasonic PT53WX42 (53" 16:9 HDTV) is a GREAT bang for the buck at about $1700. Many members here have this model (including me) and pretty much everyone agrees that with some tweaking, you can get an outstanding picture at a great price. Do a search on it and you'll find tons of threads about it.

Also look at the Toshibas -- I think the 50" Tosh is about $2000 and the 57" is about $2,500 last time I looked.

I don't know as much about the inputs, but I do know that the Tosh DOES have a DVI while the Panny does not. Don't know about the Sony, but I'm guessing it probably does.

Good luck!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
1. More and more sets are either HD-ready or HD-upgradable. Some manufacturers have stopped producing non-HD RPTVs and are activily phasing out non-HD direct-view sets. You might prefer to go with a set that doesn't have a built-in tuner. But to have HD at all you need a set that can scan at the appropriate frequencies.

2. If you don't "need" a super-big image then a direct-view set will do you fine. But the larger flatscreen models are heavy. (The Sony KV-40XBR800, as beautiful as it is, weighs close to 300 pounds, which makes it impractical if, say, you live in a second-floor apartment.)

3. Lots of good sets in that price range. Tell us about models you're interested in and owners will be happy to offer feedback.

4. It's best to be forward-thinking here. Maybe we will all luck out and broadcasters won't take these copy-protection schemes to the limit, and analog component-video inputs will prevail. But, to be on the safe side, it might be best to get an HD-capable set with DVI and/or FireWire inputs.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies!

I figured that was the case with the HD ready question and I probably could have worded it better. I think TiVo will have HD PVRs out by the time I can afford to take the next step to HD and I'll be set.

I have been going back and forth with the Panasonic & Sony RPTVs and will see what the prices are like when I'm ready to buy. The Sony RPTVs do have the DVI input, btw.

If I had the money to spend last Friday I would have picked up the 47" Panny at Fry's for $999. That was a great deal, but I'm sure there will be some this summer as well. I have plenty of time to kick around ideas. The thread where people described their sets and how much they like them has been a real help. I bought my 27" Panny a while back and it has been a great set for the price (It was really the only low end set I could find w/ component inputs).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you live near Plano and have the $$$ this week, then run out to Best Buy and get the Panny 53" for only $1300(!) or maybe 47" for less, if they have that.

Somebody posted the deal here, if you didn't see:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...25#post1483925

Heck, if your credit history's ok, you can just do it w/ Best Buy's current no-interest deferred payment offer.

_Man_

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I like the stretch modes of the Toshiba. Dvd's are incredible with the Panasonic CP72. TimeWarner HD is great as well. I've been more than pleased with our 50H82.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

Do you have Satellite TV? I was wondering how the non-HD content looked on your Panny. There is another thread which mentions problems with the picture coming from a satellite receiver. I have a RCA UTV and it would make a big difference on my choice if the picture is not good from both satellite & DVD.

Can anyone with a Sony RPTV comment on the picture from a satellite receiver as well?

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
FYI:

I just talked to a guy at Tweeter and he said they might have the 47" Panny on sale this weekend for $999. This might just be a local Texas thing because he said a Houston store is overstocked.

RobertSing

Agent
There are two lines in the Toshiba. The regular 50H82 (or whatever size) is DVI upgradable ... the 50HDX82 has DVI. I like the stretch modes on the Toshiba the best and would endorse that set.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Jeff,

Do you have Satellite TV? I was wondering how the non-HD content looked on your Panny. There is another thread which mentions problems with the picture coming from a satellite receiver. I have a RCA UTV and it would make a big difference on my choice if the picture is not good from both satellite & DVD.
Wayne,

Yes I have DISH Network -- I have the 508 PVR hooked up via S-Video to my Panny.

IMHO, the picture is fine. It really varies with the specficic channels though... (the old "garbage in-garbage out" scenario).

Most of the standard "cable" channels, like HBO, Discovery, History, TBS, etc., look anywhere from good to great. (HBO is probably the best).

My local network affiliates can look anywhere from decent (NBC) to pretty bad (Fox), depending on the programming.

The prime time programming always looks pretty good.

Live sports on the network affiliates are the worst picture, by far. You can typically see some pixelation and digital artifacts. Fox seems to be the worst.

However, live sports on ESPN, Fox Sports Net and the other "cable" channels, looks great. So the problem really only seems to lie with my local network affiliates -- your mileage may vary...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks