What's new

question regarding the volume of SONY DAV-C900 rear speakers (1 Viewer)

gsnake

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur
hi,

I got this system (I know it is quite old but I got it as a gift so no complains). I am planning to use it only for music listening and have tried to set it up so all four speakers volume would be about the same.. And I could not.. The volume of the rear speakers is too low. I increased it in the setup of the amplifier menu but this is still not enough.. I could not find a fader adjustment.. (only the balance).
Is there anything can be done to increase the volume of the rear speakers?

thanks
gsnake

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All home theater receivers have level adjustments for individual speakers. An SPL (analog model from Radio Shack $40) and a calibration disc ($10 to $50) are used to properly set the levels.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You should also try making sure that the receiver is set to "All Channel Stereo" or some similarly named listening mode to make sure that the same level audio signal is being sent to all channels. ProLogic and many other listening modes automatically reduce the level for the surround channels and this may not be defeatable from the setup menu.

gsnake

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur
i am using Jazz mode (no center channel) - this is the best for the music but still the volume is too low.. (I tried all the modes - the same thing)..
i can only increase the level (+6 db) for the rear speakers but this does not make much difference..

gsnake

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur
I guess it would help if I could set the levels - my problem there is no real fader settings in this model :(

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I can't find any definitive information online, but I think the only way you can get a stereo source to play at equal levels through both the front and rear channels of a surround receiver is using an all channel stereo DSP mode - and even that may not work quite right.

To truly get the effect that I think you're going for, you'll probably need a separate stereo amplifier to drive the second pair of speakers. I'm not familiar with precisely how to set something like that up, but perhaps others here can provide some pointers.

Is there a particular reason (other than volume) that all 4 speakers need to be driven simultaneously? I think if you simply powered the front speakers in Stereo mode (your receiver's power output will go up when it's only driving 2 speakers) there will be a noticeable increase in volume, not to mention you'd be hearing the original recording of whatever you're listening to, without all the added reverb, echoes, and reflections that DSP adds to the signal. Just my .02.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never seen a fader on anything but car stereos.

Increasing the output of the rear speakers makes them 6db louder. That is a LOT of difference in acoustical output.

How are you determining levels of the speakers levels of the rear speakers should be higher? Have you set the distances from your listening position?

gsnake

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur
the reason i wanted to have all 4 speakers have the same volume is that they are installed in large room. i am planning to use it for music (as I mentioned) so with the current setup i can not hear the rear speakers at all while standing in the center of the room. the feeling is much better when you can hear all 4 speakers equally..
I agree that DSP is not for the music.. but using only 2 speakers from 4 is also kind of waste.. :(

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All four speakers look the same and the amp probably puts out the same amount of power. I think they should work but I am not familiar with your Sony system. An SPL meter in your listening position would be able to determine how much you need to boost the rear speakers.

gsnake

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur
the setup allows me to set the distance, yes. but unfortunately the distance for the rear speakers could be equal or less then the front ones (so if I say 10 f for the front ones the rear will be 10 or less). :)
+6 DB looks like a lot but in reality it hardly makes any difference.. I did some really crazy thing - I moved the speakers counter clock wise (to the next corner) and adjusted the balance. now I have more or less equal sound but i guess this is not a good solution anyways.. :)

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I don't think you can achieve what you want with that particular system. You need an "all channel" mode which it just doesn't have. All the surround DSP modes on that are to create ambient effects, simulate certain type of auditorium/room etc.

Arguably this is correct, as in real life the vocals and instruments are coming from the band/orchestra in front of you, the singer isn't a disembodied spirit coming from all directions :).

If you really want bigger sound then you'll have to upgrade to a real receiver + speaker setup, with larger speakers + good sub.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm not familiar with this particular receiver, but in the past, setting up Sony systems for friends, I've found that in a couple of them, I had to lower the level of the front speakers, in order to be able to get the rear speakers to the same level. Sony is the only brand I ever had to do this with.

gsnake.........
It doesn't matter if the speakers are at different distances from the seating position. Distance setting is the "Delay", and Level setting is the "Volume" of each individual speaker. Calibration of the speakers should take care of that difference. If the front speakers are 10 ft. away, and the rear speakers are 3 ft. away, the level of the front speakers will be set louder, to be the same volume at the seat, as the rear speakers. The only way to get this really right, is with an SPL (sound pressure level) meter, and a calibration disc, such as Avia (as Robert said). Radio Shack sells the meters, and you can get the disc from Amazon.com. You can get them bundled together here: http://www.svsound.com/products-parts-avia.cfm
The rear speakers can even be the same volume at the seating position, but may SEEM like they aren't, because of less sound coming from them, even with music. Most of the sound will come from the front three speakers, in a 5.1 setup.

Sony systems aren't as accurate and adjustable as most, and since this is an older system, may even be less accurate and adjustable. Stephen may be right, that you need to upgrade to get it the way you really want it. You can probably find a good deal, on a good receiver, on Craig's List. A real receiver..........not an HTIB setup.
Good luck!

gsnake

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur
yes, I guess to get what I need - I have to change the system... the guy who gave it to me was the previous owner of my house so he bought it especially for this room. So, I guess everyone's level of comfort is different :)
SPL would have helped for sure but my problem is that I am not be able to adjust it as the result of limited funcionality of my system (please correct me if I am wrong)..
So, I will keep the speakers (nice looking) and change the receiver..

thanks guys for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks