What's new

Question re: the new Patton & Tora Tora Tora 2-discs?... (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

[shakes head] DVD extras are a huge factor in my buying a film again, in fact I rarely check to see if the picture and sound have been improved, probably because I take it for granted that it probably has better PQ and sound, or even if the movies exactly the same as before I'm only really buying it again for the extras. I've double-dipped 110 times in 7 years and nearly all because of the addition of extras.

It bemuses me when people say they don't give a crap about background material or any info at all on a film, as a film fan I can't imagine anything more fascinating. The inclusion of extras, particularly commentaries was the single biggest factor that finally made me switch to DVD in 1999. I feel it really enhances my enjoyment of watching a movie knowing something about the history of how it came about.

That said I've ordered Tora! Tora! Tora!, a double-dip, my current copy only has the commentary, looking forward to seeing the video material on the subject and I'll have to order Patton too, oh and The Dirty Dozen now has a slew of extras too, keep em coming.:D

TedD

Supporting Actor
Well, the good news about Tora Tora Tora, and The Longest Day is that the subtitles are now placed where they belong, in the image area, instead of being placed partially in the black bars. So, we constant height fans can now enjoy these two titles with the full subtitle text plainly visible.

Ted

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Steve, I was speaking in terms of double-dipping. And what I meant was that there is almost no conceivable extra that I would rebuy a movie to get. I mean, with very, very, very few exceptions I rewatch extras at most once. I've listened to and enjoyed many a great commentary, but I've never done so a second time. When a movie comes on dvd the first time, I hope it has great extras. If it's re-released I certainly applaud extras. But if the picture isn't improved I'm not going to rebuy it.

The only extras I ever watch more than once are trailers and deleted scenes. And very few trailers are worth rewatching.

Would I rebuy Double Indemnity just to get the deleted gas chamber ending? Yes. But that's a rarity.

When it comes to double-dipping there'd better be significant picture improvement. Any new extras would then be a bonus, well appreciated. But without the improved PQ, I stand by my statement - I couldn't give a rat's ass about extras.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The original Longest Day was a very good B&W non-anamorphic disc, but with its extreme wide aspect ratio there should be no contest that a new disk with anamorphic enhancement should be an improvement. In general I would comment that B&W films look better in non-anamorphic presentations than do color films, but I'm sure there is still room for improvement.

Can anyone confirm that the new Longest Day is in fact 16:9 enhanced? Different vendors quote different specifications.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Yes it is anamorphic. The sub-titles for the German language sequences also look much better, being the original film sub-titles as opposed to the re-done sub-titles on the previous DVD.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
I read elsewhere, but can't recall where at the moment, that the isolated score from the previous Patton DVD release is not on the newest edition...

Mine hasn't shipped yet, so I can not confirm this.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Steven, you probably read this at DVDFile:

"This is Patton’s third go-around on DVD and let’s hope Fox finally leaves well enough along, because this version is the best so far. True, this incarnation doesn’t have the isolated Jerry Goldsmith score, but there are plenty of pluses to offset the minor minuses.

However, that very same review goes on to say:

"There are two Stills Galleries, each presented in unique fashion. Production Stills Gallery Accompanied by Jerry Goldsmith’s Complete Musical Score is as advertised. The entire Goldsmith score is laid atop black and white on-set photographs."

So go figure...

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Travis, I don't understand what you're saying. Have you checked the stills gallery to confirm that Jerry Goldsmith's score isn't there? You said it wasn't, but then quoted from a review that says it is. Are you saying the review is in error? The back of my DVD says the Goldsmith score is there, but I haven't checked that feature to confirm yet.

EDIT: Sorry, Travis, I just re-read what you wrote and realized that you were questioning the review on both points. Nevermind.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

I don't think there ever was an isolated score for Patton, that is, the complete score accompaning and in sync with the movie. But you could hear the complete soundtrack album, about 50mins, on a seperate audio track over the documentary on the previous disc. Maybe they've done something similar with the new version. I would love to have the entire Jerry Goldsmith score on an isolated track, as I've already got the soundtrack CD.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
If anyone's unaware, the three releases are under 11 bucks at Amazon right now:

That's just $27.91 for all three 2-disc reissues (approximately $9.30 per title). Plus free shipping, and even a bit cheaper if you have A9 active.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

That's it exactly; before, it was an alternate audio track over the "making of" documentary, now it plays over a stills gallery--same approx. 50 minutes of music either way.

What I want to know, after damnably discovering that Target, Best Buy and Circuit City are not stocking this title in my area (nationwide?) and having to then order it online, is what kind of case does this come in--a sturdy keepcase, or a flimsy digipak that will get beat up in transit in the mail? :angry:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Looks like a keepcase in a slipcase, Travis.

I must say, though, I buy most if not all of my DVD online, insluding many in non-keepcase packaging and they usually arrive in perfect condition. If they arrive damaged, Amazon quickly sends out replacements.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Ah, so a keepcase that will survive the trip unscathed covered by a slipcase that will have bruised corners...great... :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure these are not slipcovered keepcases.

Fox Film Classics (the new release series) seem to be packaged in thin cardboard packs about the same size in height and width as regular keepcases, though they look like a more solid and sturdy version of a cardboard digipak. At least that's what I've seen on shelf so far. I think I came accross Tora! Tora! Tora! last week, but I'm not 100% certain...

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
They are slipcases, with keepcases inside.
Went to Best Buy, and Circuit City for both these movies and the Longest Day. Didnt have them in stock. The Best Buy media guy...who is quite good to me, said online only for them. He also said he sent a memo up the ladder asking why. I sent an e mail to Best Buy, asked if they were interested in the 40 year old male market...see what they say. [insert sarcasm] I could have bought High School Musical however, as they had 100 copies if it! [end sarcasm]

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Travis, I found "Patton" last night at Wal-Mart and 91st and Memorial, so I'd be very surprised if Best Buy and others didn't have them. Either way, if you want to go and pick it up, Wal-Mart is carrying it for $14.44. You are in Tulsa aren't you? (yes, I know RickER is).

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Son of a...!

Yes, I'm in Tulsa, but I figured if Best Buy, Circuit City and Target didn't have 'em, why would Wal-Mart? Piss and moan...now I have to wait for DVDEmpire's shipment to arrive later in the week when I could have it in my hands RIGHT NOW! :angry:, Part 2: The :angry: Strikes Back!

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Travis, I was at Wal-Mart last night getting "Patton" and the Director's Cut of "Kingdom of Heaven." At midnight on Monday nights, they start putting out their DVDs for the next day. I told the guy who usually puts them out, "I know there's a slim chance Wal-Mart got the re-release of 'Patton' but I'm here to see about it anyway." Sure enough, he pulled it out. I only went to Wal-Mart because I didn't want to wait until 10 a.m. the next day for Best Buy to open. I'm really shocked the other stores and didn't get this, and I'm even more shocked that Wal-Mart did. But I'm glad to have it.

I did a comparison of the original 2-discer and the new version and I have to say that there are quite a few shots where the picture is very soft compared to the original, but it also looks to me like the previous version went through some artificial sharpening. The new transfer seems to have done a nicer job on the color than the previous release, however. The new transfer is also a LOT cleaner with far less dirt and scratches than the original. So that plus the new documentaries and commentary by FFC makes me very happy to have double-dipped on one of my favorite movies of all time.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well I just passed by the store to pick these up and to my unpleasant surprise... bilingual covers!

A lost sale.

Now I'd like to know how many other Fox Cinema Classics releases have been put out with bilingual covers in Canada?

What really pisses me off is that I was just in NYC over the weekend and had I known, I would have went out of my way to find and buy both sets (even though street date was officially today) so as to avoid importing. I don't order non-keepcase releases online for obvious reasons as I don't like owning banged up sets. :angry:

Can anyone make a list of Fox Cinema Classics that feature French text-titles on the cover? I know that my Laurel and Hardy set didn't have this...

I'm really upset about this as I was especially looking forward to this new release line from the studio! But if this is there practice, I'll be avoiding each and every one of their upcoming DVDs no matter how much I want to own the film and I'll give my money to Warner Bros. instead. I'll never support this crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks