What's new

Question re: The John Frankenheimer Collection (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The press release artwork made available to DVDTimes shows a single keep case style packaging for the set:

My question is whether the films included will be presented on separate discs (4 DVD-9s) or whether the films will be packaged as double features? Or perhaps the packaging is a double-wide keepcase with four separate disc hubs?

Does anyone know?

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Marc - Good review on DVD Beaver and it appears that The Young Savages is only available in this set - the rest have been out for awhile and I don't think MGM did anything with those. Another cash grab as he mentions in the review.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Again, MGM doesn't give us an anamorphic transfer of "The Train". I'm so sick of certain studios cutting corners and then expect us to pay our good money for compromised products. If you can't do it right then don't release it at all. Have some respect for those artists that made the film.

Crawdaddy

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

I was still tossing up whether to just go ahead and buy The Train. I just read Gary Tooze's review a few minutes ago so I guess I might as well, because something better ain't gonna be coming along too soon.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So can anyone answer my question with this set?

Are the films all on separate discs? How are they packaged in a single case like that above and why do I keep reading references on review sites to slim cases when the picture above shows something very different?

I would like to have The Young Savages even though it's supposedly not such a great film. I don't own the previous MGM release of The Train either, but I'm quite disappointed with their treatment of it here. The only film I don't really care about or want in this set is Ronin.

I'm still on the fence with this one and would really like to know how the whole thing is packaged as I've never seen a four-film box set in a single amaray keep case before and don't quite understand how it's presented...

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Marco, it is individual slim cases housed in a slip cover. Ignore the "Temp" artwork that was used with the announcement. If you want to see what the slip cover looks like, it is pictured on Amazon.com.

I can't definitively answer the Region question, but it's my understanding that no anamorphic release exists anywhere.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John, that's good news because I could than go ahead and sell off some of the titles like Ronin... if I decide to go for this set.

Anyone have any shots of the covers for the individual slimcases?

Thanks!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Train is a film I deeply admire and I'd love to see an 1.66:1 anamorphic SD-DVD or Blu-Ray edition. The current DVD actually looks good zoomed in, but it is fairly dirty/scratchy is places. Beautifully shot film - bold, deep focus composition with the 25mm lens. Love Frankenheimer's commentary - one of the best you'll ever hear, I would venture.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member

Well, that's what I said, wasn't it?! ;)

Yeah, it's a great commentary. No waffle, lots of great tech talk for camera geeks like me, hair-raising anecdotes, philosophy of Cinema, etc and it flows beautifully. It's a helluva film, too. The "Citizen Kane of macho action movies", as I see it!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I should have said that the UK edition drops the commentary. Sorry, Oscar. Go for the R1: Go for Play USA. £10.99 is a tad overpriced, but you don't pay postage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks