What's new

Question re. Imax Hollywood Releases (1 Viewer)

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
What aspect ratio are movies like APOLLO 13, V FOR VENDETTA, POSEIDON and SUPERMAN RETURNS shown in when projected in Imax?

Are they letterboxed to 2.35:1 or are they reframed to a different aspect ratio?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Apollo 13 was reframed. As far as I know, the others you mentioned will retain their theatrical aspect ratios.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
IMAX screens are friggin' huge, basically - even when they're showing a scope film, it's still often the biggest picture in town. Here in Boston, the screen at the Aquarium is 8 stories tall. That's 64 feet, which means at a 1.40 aspect ratio it's ~90 feet wide. The next-biggest screen in town is at AMC Fenway, and it's about 60 feet wide. So the total screen space used is about 2.25 times as much, and it's almost a given that you'll get better projection at an IMAX theater than a multiplex, too.

And then there's the 3-D on The Polar Express, Superman, Happy Feet.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
THE ANT BULLY and OPEN SEASON will also play in IMAX 3-D versions this year, at the same time as the 2-D version plays in theatres.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
It should also be pointed out that longer films (like Apollo 13) are also often edited down slightly due to the platter size of the IMAX projectors.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
From what I understand, that has not been the case for a couple of years now. Apparently larger capacity platters are available and all IMAX versions are full length. For example, HARRY POTTER 4, a long film, was not shorter in the IMAX version.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
The only two IMAX films to be edited for time were Apollo 13 and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. All IMAX films released since those two have been unaltered in both length and aspect ratio. As to what the difference between seeing an IMAX version and seeing one in a regular theater is, it's much more than the size. I've seen 5 IMAX films presented using their DMR process, and in addition to the incredible 3-story screen size, the detail and resolution are simply jaw-dropping, far surpassing even the best digital presentation. I've seen one regular 35mm film projected onto an IMAX screen (Fellowship of the Ring), and the difference between that and one prepared especially for IMAX using the DMR process is night and day. The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions were the two best theater going experiences I had ever been witness to in my life.. until I saw The Polar Express IMAX 3-D. Holy crap, I still can't belive I really experienced that. The 3-D effect was so convincing and enveloping that you 100% belive that you are in the film. Even more then the "COMING AT YA!" effects, I was transfixed by shots of the boys room at the start of the film, and the interiors of the train. I highly recommend the experience if you have access to a theater.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Aspect ratio has been changed at least once. I have only seen 2 Hollywood films in Imax, 1 was altered 1 wasn't.
Batman Begins was in its original Ratio
Charluie and the Chocolate Factory was shown in the Imax ratio, filling the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks