What's new

Question on how to use old drive in speakers for 7.1 rear channels on 6.1 system (1 Viewer)

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
First off I want to say Hi. I haven't posted or even lurked here for along time. I got my theater setup several years ago and have been enjoying it. I haven't upgraded to blue ray yet, but I can start to feel the bug biting.

Here's my latest situation...I have some old drive in theater speakers that have been sitting in my storage room for a long time. I would like to incorporate them into my theater some how (either display or in-use), but I've never had any great ideas on how to do it. Last night I was thinking about it. I came up with the idea of replacing my single rear center speaker with the two drive in speakers. I was thinking since the rears don't always do much, the sound quality of the drive in speakers may not be all that noticeable. I was planning on replacing the drivers inside the drive in speakers with some that are a little nicer, so that would help.

Here's my problem/question...I have a 6.1 system. What is the correct way to hook up the two rears to the 6.1? Since I haven't bought the replacement speakers yet, would it be best to purchase some 4 ohm drivers for each one and hook the speakers in series, essentially making the receiver think there is only one speaker connected?

Has anyone else used drive in speakers? Please post any suggestions for replacement drivers or sound quality improvements.

Thanks,

Frank

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Has anyone else used drive in speakers? Please post any suggestions for replacement drivers or sound quality improvements.

I've been causing trouble around here for 6-7 years now and that's a first for me!

Can I assume they are a single driver design? If so then a decent quality car speaker, or a full range 4 ohm home speaker driver from PartsExpress, wired in series should work.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Haha, Glad to be the first. They are a single driver design. I tore into them today. They contain 4" drivers. It looks like the max depth would be around 2.375". I've been browsing partsexpress.com trying to find the perfect match, now that I know that 4 ohms is the way to go, that will help.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Found these...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=55732934&St=9264&St2=59106478&St3=-33803569&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=166614&DID=7

I'm a little worried about the space in front of the driver (the grill) interfereing with the movment of the cone. There is hardly any space in front of the mounting surface for the driver.

Frank

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm a little worried about the space in front of the driver (the grill) interfereing with the movment of the cone. There is hardly any space in front of the mounting surface for the driver.

For a rear center speaker I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not much is sent to the 6th/7th speakers so I doubt the cone will move very much.

And pay clos attention to the spec-sheet. HT isn't like car audio. Not all 4" drivers are the same size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.