What's new

Question for Megachanger users (1 Viewer)

Ken Cerce

Agent
I would like to purchase either a Sony CDP-CX355 or CX455 magachanger for my familiy's CDs and I was wondering how easy it would be for my family members to find a CD. Can you search by artist name within a group or can you only search by album name? If someone could break down the steps to finding a CD I would appreciate it. I don't want to purchase something that they will need help finding their Cds all the time. THANKS.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've got the CDP-CX335 and its pretty limited in finding titles using just the unit itself. By far the nicest solution is to use the megachangers with a Pronto universal remote and then use the SuperNudelist software to build your CD list. Its a little quirky to get set up the first time but there after its a snap to update and the user interface is so easy anyone can use it. Basically what it gives you is an alphabet into page that you'd click on "A" to get all the Artist that start with "A" (note you can tell it how you want titles sorted). Next click on an artist and you'll see a listing of all their CD's in your jukebox...simple click one and you're done.

If you're interested send me an email and I'll give you my CCF file that you'll be able to load into the pronto editing software which is a free download. There's a built in emulator that you can then use to actually see just what I mean.

Ken Cerce

Agent
Is there any artist information displayed on the CX-455 display? Without a spreadsheet or list, how do you find an artist or an album?

Andrew, I appreciate your suggestion but I don't find it cost effective to spend $200+ dollars on a remote to operate a

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like th 455 is a little more friendly in that regard. It has a 20 character display and the cds can be searched by artist alphabetically.
I don't know what your budget is but they have a 400 disc DVD changer with an on screen management system that lists at $400.00.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I also have the 400 disc DVD changer and I wouldn't rely on its disk query abilities as they're very poor and S L O W. I use my pronto to access both jukebox's and its very slick.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 Sony mega changers (CDP-CX450 & CDP-CX455) both units have ARTIST NAME input, the CDP-CX450 has video onscreen display for its discs, the CDP-CX455 does not. The model 450 came with a LCD remote control (RM-DX450), the model 455 does not. The remote can control either 2 mega changers linked together or 3 megachangers not linked. I have both units linked for continous play and controlled by the LCD remote. If the model 455 is being used as the MASTER player the titles from the model 450 can be displayed on the model 455. Not sure if they will display on the remote, but, I don't see why not. Haven't gotten that far yet. Let me know if you have any further questions on these units.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
This is a followup to previous post. The model 450 has name/artist/group disc selection as opposed to the model 455's name/artist/Top Artist grouping. Personally, I prefer the 450's grouping which allows multiple artist names per group. Only being able to list 8 artists (455) can be a bit limiting. Of course if your kids have MP3 discs, the 355/455 players are the ones to get (I don't have any). Also the LCD remote for the 450 does allow you to read name/artist/program play & program artist display in the palm of your hand. And it is backlit. The remote lists Group Select which was designed before Sony decided to use Top Artist on the 355/455 design. The flip down panel hides more complex features. I still have an additional 300 discs and if I decided to go for another changer, I would seek out another 450 for the flexibility & on-screen display over MP3 usage. but, thats just me.

StephenL

Second Unit
Consider ripping your CDs to a computer instead. I have over 300 CDs ripped to a 160GB hard drive in the Windows Media Audio Lossless codec. I use Windows Media Player 9 to rip and automatically tag the tracks with song title, artist, album, composer, genre, length, release date, etc. I use the J. River Media Center player because it provides gapless playback between tracks (where audio on the original CD is continuous from one track to the next). My sound card is a Hoontech Soundtrack Audio DSP24 Value with optional digital I/O bracket, which provides bit-perfect output. The soundcard is connected via TOSLINK SPDIF to an Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver.

Edward_B

Auditioning
Ken, I just bought the Sony CDP-CX455 today. I got it for $219 at J&R in NYC. I couldn't get the keyboard input to work. The instructions say something about keyboard power limits. Adding titles to the chagner using the dials on the 455 was quick and easy.

I was replacing an Onkyo DX-C390 6 disk changer. The Onkyo was great I just wanted the extra 394 slots.

What do you mega changer guys do with the empty cd cases? File them in alpha order in a box in the attic or trash them?

This is my first post. I want to say thank you to everyone in the forum. You have cost me a lot of money but I've enjoyed the process.

Ed

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler

I have two Sony CDP-CX300 mega changers. All the CD cases are in boxes down in the crawl space, although my wife keeps urging me to toss them :)

If I did trash them, I would probably want to take out all the booklets and liners, but that would be a monumental task...

BruceD

Screenwriter
Have to say, I agree with Stephen, the writing is on the wall for sound distribution (Ethernet or WiFi, even S/PDIF for a server in the same room) from a PC music server to HT and music systems throughout the house.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Mine are stacked on a rack behind my false wall...though to be honest I don't recall the last time I looked at them.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
I replaced my CD changer with an Apple AirPort Express, which connects to my receiver via its optical output connection, and connects to a computer wirelessly. Now, any computer in the house that has audio files can play them on the stereo. There's a new "Express Remote" coming out from Keyspan that will even let me control track forward/back etc, so the source computer can be in a different room.

Or you can use something like a Squeezebox, which does basically the same thing (but costs more.)

It seems kind of silly to use up all that space for CD changers, but I suppose I can see why some people might prefer it.

Edward_B

Auditioning
One word made me choose the mega changer option over a hard drive solution: virus. I had my PC all set and I was loving it. Now the only thing that PC is good for is a small bookshelf. My changer will be safe from the frustrated 19yr old college kids churning out viruses. Yes I had Norton running and up to date. Yes my operating sytem was up to date. Now it's furniture.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, kinda surprised to see this topic pop up again. As far as the keyboard not operating properly, there is mention that the keyboard power consumption must be 120 mA or less. This is on page 32 of the CDP-CX450 manual and page 26 of the CDP-CX455 manual. Also, the keyboard must be plugged in before powering on. I found out these bits from comments on earlier changers on www.audioreview.com back when I had my 300 disc changer. As far as cases go, I saved the covers and gave away the cases. I'm also using large notebooks from CASE LOGIC (256) and FELLOWS (over 300) to hold extra discs. I rarely need the covers, but, I am looking for a file case(s) for them. I also am not connecting to a computer until I need to operate & control 3 megachangers. Keeping it simple works for me. Let me know if you have any other questions.

John_Weber

Auditioning
Real Name
John Weber
I realize this post is *Incredibly* old but hoping for the best here. Kenny_H, if you're still on this forum, I would like to know if you ever got the RM-DX450 remote to display song title/artist/group(or top artist) information from the slightly newer CDP-CX455 player. You're post above was not clear to me regarding that. I think the answer really comes down to whether or not the CX455 is bidirectional like the CX450. I recently (within the last year) purchased two CDP-CX455 400 Disc players and one was missing a remote. If I can use the LCD remote with the setup I have(they are linked together), I would prefer to have that instead of the remote that normally comes with it, since it displays the information I want on the remote. And before anyone asks me why I purchased these players, I really don't know other than the nostalgia. I have slightly over 800 CD's, so the 800 these players will hold is almost perfect. I also have a media center and have toyed with that for years. If anyone else knows the answer to my question, I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

John_Weber

Auditioning
Real Name
John Weber
Thanks for letting me know. I know it’s a long shot but maybe someone else has experience with those models.
Incidentally, would Kenny_H get notified when this thread gets updated?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks