What's new

Question for Columbus OH area residents (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Thought I might get a few replies here so here goes....

My fiance and I are driving to Columbus this week to see a hockey game (vs. Detroit). She's been to the area before, but not downtown, and I've never been there at all.

Our hotel is about a mile away from the stadium. The hotel people are suggesting we just cab it to and from the game, as the hotel is valet parking only, and we'd have to valet park our car twice otherwise.

So my questions is, how is the area around the stadium? Is it safe? I'm just concerned about waiting outside forever trying to get a cab. Am I better off driving the mile and paying for parking?

Thanks in advance for any help!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've never been to a game, but I go to that area very often to see movies. If you've got the time, take in a matinee at the Arena Grand theater. It's pretty much right next to the arena (one minute walking distance), and all the theaters are THX Certified. I'd consider the general area to be pretty safe. I think the only way to get a cab to the game is to call ahead. After the game, there may be some waiting outside of the arena. I guess walking the mile in 30 degree weather is out of the question? :) What hotel are you staying at?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info!

We're staying at the Columbus, I think it's run by Renaissance. We're on a tight schedule so I don;t think we'll have time for a movie unfortunately, but maybe next time we're in town. I'll make note of the theater.

I thought about walking, but again, I wasn't sure what the area was like.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The particular area that you're staying in isn't familiar to me, but I would think that everywhere within a mile of the arena would be decently safe. The Blue Jackets and the arena have only been in Columbus since 2000, so everything surrounding the arena is relatively new and one of the most upscale parts of the city. The hotel's website has this to say:

Benny G

Second Unit
I remember walking by the arena a few years ago (at night), and everything seemed perfectly fine. If I recall correctly, there are lots of nice bars/clubs in that area.

There will be lots of people around after the game, and people say there's safety in numbers, so I wouldn't worry about walking back to the hotel or waiting around for a cab.

If you're really worried about it, just drive your car. It's a mini vacation (it seems), and a little extra $ might be worth a little peace of mind.

P.S. I was in Columbus for the LOTR (Howard Shore conducting) concert.

Frank__M

Auditioning
I was at the Rangers game last night, the Detroit game should be great. I'm from out of town and I always drive in parking as far away as about a 15 minute walk, I have never felt unsafe around the arena. Tons of police around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks