What's new

Question concerning "The Sting". (1 Viewer)

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
I pride myself in being both an astute, and successful video retailer. IN addition, I recognize Universal's long standing in the industry. In that "The Sting 2", which grossed a paltry $6,300,000 in the U.S., compared to the original's $156,000,000, was recently released, is the problem with "1" music rights?

Bob Engleman

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Lots of discussion about this here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=188229

I'm pretty sure that all of the music in "The Sting" is by Scott Joplin (adapted by Marvin Hamlisch), which should be public domain I believe. Also it was released on DVD previously so that probably isn't the reason.

I just realized that the reason probably is:

It's a Universal

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe new arrangements of public domain music can be protected by copywrite. However I agree that this probably is not the reason Universal has not released an updated version of The Sting in Widescreen. Perhaps they are waiting for the next Newman/Redford film.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Universal has a pan and scan DVD out so I dont think it's about rights.
I sure would like to see this in Widescreen on DVD.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

No thanks. I can wait for an R1 SE which just has to come out soon. The movie is worth waiting for.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Plus, with PAL speedup, you only have to spend 2 hours and 4 minutes to watch a film that's 2 hours and 9 minutes long!!! Think of what you can do with those extra five minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks