1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

question about vhs and the PAL system?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alex_SZ, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Alex_SZ

Alex_SZ New Member

I recently went to Spain on a trip and I made a video using my Sony mini dv camcorder.

I want to send a copy of the tape to some of my spanish friends, but I am a little baffled as to whethere a standard vhs tape from the United States would work in a PAL vhs player in Spain. I have heard many differnt answers, some say yes it will work while others say no.

I would like some input here, and if you don't think it will work on a PAL vhs player, is there a way to somehow covert my ntsc video to a pal video?

Thanks for you help.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

It should be OK. First your friends must have a TV that displays NTSC. I don’t know about Spain, but most PAL TVs will also display NTSC signals (as opposed to almost no NTSC TVs being able to display PAL).

Next he must have a VHS that will output an NTSC picture OK. There are plenty of these around and your friend can likely find one—at least as a loaner.

So the technical answer is, ‘it depends’. But the answer in practice is that he should be OK with a little luck and/or effort.

It is possible to convert NTSC to PAL, but I don’t know if it is very common in the States.

3. Alex_SZ

Alex_SZ New Member

Thanks for you reply. Does anyone else have any opinoins on this matter?

4. DustinLC

DustinLC Well-Known Member

5. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Well-Known Member

VCRs and TVs that accept NTSC tapes and signals are almost universal down here and I would think it's the same in Europe.

6. Koit

Koit New Member

At least here in Sweden VCR's and TV's that can play NTSC tapes are very common.

If your friends in Spain has a decent VCR it most likely can play the NTSC tape.

Let them try the tape and see what happens.