1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about the AV12

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by eric nyhof, Dec 24, 2004.

1. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Well-Known Member

I recently built a subwoofer cabinet for the AV12 when they become available. It's a 20x20x22 cabinet with the dual 15 PR's. I have the PR's surfaced with veneer to match the box, but I am thinking about making a grill to cover up the driver. For my tower speakers I used 1/2" mdf and wrapped them in Parts express grill cloth. I think the grills add a nice finihsing touch. I would like to do the same for my subwoofer, does anyone know if 1/2" will be thick enough, or should I double it up to make a 1" thick grill? Oh yeah, the driver is going to be flush mounted.

2. stephanX

stephanX Well-Known Member

1/2 is too small. You have to think about excursion really, the av12 has alot of it too, i think 54mm mechanichal? so that means the cone can move 27mm from its resting position, whichi think is more than 1", and you dont want the cone slamming into the grill cloth. Might as well double up some .75" and make a grill outta that.

3. MattD

MattD Well-Known Member

I'd double it up to be on the safe side. I hope your subwoofer box isn't 1/2 inch thick

4. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Well-Known Member

Eric,

Go with a 1" thick grill. The AV woofers have 30mm+ of one way physical travel. The surround sticks forward from the gasket a little bit to begin with, and when the cone moves forward to over 1", it will easily exceed the 1/2" mark from the front of your cabinet.

John

5. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I have enough wood to go with the 1" for the grill.
    The wall thickness is 1.5" for all the baffles with drivers and .75" for the other walls. I also have some decent internal bracing. It can be seen here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=221319

6. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Well-Known Member

You should make an extra grill with the 1/2 in mdf. Then when you audition your sub for your friends you blow the grill off with a really loud low tone. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Well-Known Member

I haven't had much occasion to push my AV12 to its limits (and I'm probably not going to get there with the 500w amp I'm using) but I have found that in the Thunder 12.3 enclosure configuration, I get to the mechanical limits of the passive radiators with a 20Hz test tone without a peep from the driver. Anyway, my box places 1.5" between the driver and the grilles and I think that was overkill. 1" sounds about right. Those passive radiators really get moving down at 20 Hz, and you an hear it when you exceed their limitations.