1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about splicing telephone wire

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jon Bell, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

Simple question (I think)-- My telepone wire is too short to reach where I can connect it (I need about another 30 feet). Can I just splice another piece to it? This is the basic 4 strand wire (not CAT 5). It will be used for a single line telephone only.

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Yes, no problem. You probably only really need the green and red wires, but it wouldn't hurt to hook up all of them.

3. Daryl RL

Daryl RL Agent

There's probably a lot of different ways to splice them, but these things work great!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=64-3080

Edit: I posted this in a hurry just to show the product. I got them somewhere else too (see below) - now the problem is trying to find the box when I need them again in 10 or 15 years!

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ouch! That’s pretty pricey for 4 splices.

FYI, Radio Shack is a total rip-off for most stuff like this. If you have a local electronics hobby store, you can probably get a box of 25 or 50 for not much more.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

The telephone company in my area twists each of the wires together and puts a small piece of heatshrink over the twist and heats it - that's it. Since it is usually stapled down, there is no need of further 'strain relief'.

If the splice is in the open, get a junction box.

6. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

Go to your local home depot or other hardware store I bought a package of 25 for about 5 bucks. Those caps are a great way to go for that stuff, I talked to the phone wiring contractors at work and thats what they recommend, not to mention the phone company used those in mny outdoor junction box.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I used to work for Bell. They used a crimp connector for splices.

8. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I went with the very low tech solution of twisting the individual wires together, covered each splice with black electrical tape and then covered the whole thing with electrical tape. Not pretty, but it will never be seen and I now have a functioning phone in my basement.