What's new

Question about Sirius (1 Viewer)

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

Okay, I've got a question for anyone who has experience with both XM and Sirius. I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the XM area, but since I technically own Sirius equipment as I type this, I decided to post here.

My wife bought me a Sirius receiver as a gift, and I confess that I know very little about satellite radio. Just the basics, really.

I've taken a look at the music stations listed on each service, and I know that there are two stations on XM that I would likely spend the majority of my time with:

- XM Cafe - XM 45 - A mellow approach to modern adult Alternative music. . .Dave Matthews Band, Shawn Colvin, Tracy Chapman, David Gray, Sheryl Crow, Sarah McLachlan, Elvis Costello, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison. . .all in a coffee-house atmosphere

- The Loft - XM 50 - An intelligent, eclectic mix of tunes by singer-songwriters who can craft a good lyric and then put it across. You'll hear artists like Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, Norah Jones, and Bruce Springsteen.

I'm particularly interested in The Loft, because they occasionally have live in-studio performances by some of my favorite bands.

Does Sirius have anything to compare with these two XM stations? What about live in the studio performances by bands?

I'm on the fence about whether to stick with Sirius or trade to XM. On the Sirius side, I like the idea of the Springsteen station, and my wife is all for the Radio Margaritaville station. But I've listened to XM's Loft station [via DirecTV] and absolutely loved it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

mattl

Brent T

Second Unit
Matt,

I had XM till earlier last year and switched to Sirius.

Sirius does have its own versions of Loft and Cafe

LOFT = The Bridge - #10 (thats the one I think is as close to the LOFT but maybe someone else knows a better one.)

CAFE = The Coffee House - #30

You may also enjoy The Spectrum #18 which they call adult album rock.

Hope that helps, have a great New Year.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The Bridge is now E Street Radio - 24/7 Springsteen. I would say Sirius Disorder is probably closest to The Loft, but a little more Alternative. The Coffee House also does older, jazz artists - Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong, but it is a great relaxing channel. For sheer musical knowledge and great "tidbits", nothing beats Underground Garage, programmed by "Little Steven" Van Zandt.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies!

I have to admit, the Springsteen channel really has my interest.

However, my primary reason for considering satellite radio is to discover new music. I generally prefer singer-songwriter type stuff and power pop. My favorite artists are Nickel Creek, Glen Phillips, Neil Finn, etc., though I like all kinds of music. I don't listen to FM/AM radio at all, except for the occasional local news. I'd be getting into satellite purely to find more good music that I haven't previous heard.

Tell me more about the Little Steven channel! What exactly does "underground garage" cover? Does he feature unsigned or indie bands? What genres?

Also, does Sirius have any stations that feature live, in-studio performances by bands?

Thanks again,
mattl

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

It is mostly old/new "garage bands", plus punk, 60's bubblegum pop, new alternative/college bands and anything else the DJ's or SVZ desires.

I think it's better explained with a link:Sirius Underground Garage

Note that the short list of artists "The Ramones, The White Stripes, MC5, Electric Prunes and many more" does nothing to describe what the channel plays as far as genres are concerned.

At the site above, you can also browse the content descriptions for the other Sirius channels.

As a note, E Street Radio recently had a pre-E Street Band Bruce recorded live from a show in 1970. The "Live Thunder" series is great, offering excellent quality live performances from his earliest career to the latest tour. Even had 2 special Christmas shows over the holidays.

Edit: Matt, looking at your interests in singer/songwriter type, take a look at The Spectrum. It has the "adult album alternative" description that I associate with the artists you list. It says it includes 5 decades, so I imagine it has new artists as well.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

So did I, but there is a lot more on Sirius than just Howard. I'm finding that I'm watching less TV and doing more radio listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks