What's new

Question about resolving a ground loop... (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Hiya,

Ever since hooking up my PS3 I've had a problem with a ground loop thanks to it having a grounded power plug and my digital cable box going to the TV. Now, I can't move to a different outlet as I've tried that and I'm in an apartment.

Now I know I can get a surge supressor/protector with Coax support for the cable box and that should resolve it, however I already have more surge protectors than I need.

I will do that if I have to, but my question is that if I buy some really good heavily shielded AV cables for the cable box, will that be enough to shield the TV from the ground loop?

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Upgraded cables will not remove a ground loop. What you need to do is go to Radio Shack and buy a "ground loop isolator". They're inexpensive and work wonders.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is called an Isolation Transformer. It does not solve the problem, which is that your cable is not properly grounded, but it will stop the hum. You should call the cable company and tell them that this is happening and they should fix it (at the incoming box).

A surge suppressor with coax will not solve this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks