What's new

Question about projectors (1 Viewer)

argutus

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
Hello all.
I'm a newbie here.
I want to view my DVD collection on a projector. The one that was mentioned by a salesman is the "Panasonic AX-200U"
The screen is the "DA-Lite Model C with CSR high contrast matte white 133 diag. The DVD player is Sony "BDS 360 "

I mostly have standard Def Movies the were recorded from my sat reciever using a Sony DVD recorder in SP mode. I also have DVD movies purchased in standard def.

All viewing would be done at night. in a 22ft by 17ft room

My question is: Does anyone here have a similar set-up?

How is my collection of movies going to look on the above hardware?

Will what I see be "not bad" or "crappy" ?

Regards,

Tom

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The Panasonic projector is a very highly-rated piece of equipment (you can read a review here). However, a 133" screen is a VERY large screen, and although this projector is plenty bright enough in it's highest-powered mode, that brightness comes at the expense of black levels and color accuracy. In fact, the "best" mode for pretty much all projectors in terms of overall picture quality, color accuracy, and contrast, comes in at a fraction of the overall "brightness" that's quoted on the box.

Your standard def DVDs will look just fine, upconverted to 720p on this projector. Blu-Rays would look better, of course, but I watch DVDs on my 96" screen via 720p projector and they look great. The image softness may be a bit more obvious at 133" but it should still look mighty nice.

One thing to keep in mind, though, 1080p projectors used to run at least $2500, but are quickly dropping in price. Optoma just released their HD20 1080p projector for $1k, and there are two more manufacturers (Epson is one, not sure of the other) expected to release models at the $1k price point soon. At 133" I think you would see a noticeable improvement of picture quality with 1080p Blu-Rays vs. upconverted DVD.

For additional research, check out more of the articles at projectorreviews.com. You can also read projector reviews at projectorcentral.com.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks