What's new

Question about Pioneer CLD-2070 Laserdisc player (1 Viewer)

longtimelurker

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Can anyone here give me a review of the Pioneer CLD-2070 laser disc player? Finding information about some of these old players is really hard. I'm considering buying it from a guy who has one available, but since LD players vary so much in quality, I'm not sure if this one is decent or not. Any info would be much appreciated.

longtimelurker

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Oh, and I was also wondering about the Pioneer CLD-990. How does that one stack up? Sorry to bombard you with these questions; I'm just trying to figure out which player would be the best one to get.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The 990 from around 1991 (??) is a very basic entry level player and if I remember the 90 series didn't have the best record. ?? if it was a single side player.

The 2070 is from 1989 .

The LD-700 is from 1983 or so. No digital audio track capability so many soundtracks would be inaccesible, it even has an RF out.

Of the 3 players I'd actually think the 2070 might be the best choice, but none would be something I'd pay for -- if someone was giving it away and you just wanted something to play with for fun it might be interesting.

longtimelurker

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
David, thanks for the info. What player(s) would you recommend paying for? I'm new to LDs, but I'd like to be able to get a decent player.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Depending on your budget -- I think the 703/704 line is probably best bang for the buck. CLD-95 is still very nice.

The 606 players are a little newer and have most of the better features, but are actually a step down from the 703/704.

When you get into the more serious machines -- LD-S2, CLD-97 or CLD-99, and them the upper level Japanese players then you are talking a bit more money.

Just a decent entry player -- maybe the 503/504 level, a good condition 701/702

The early DVD/LD combo players are newer and the Pioneer 919 is a decent player that was still in production through much of the 2000's. The Elite DV:-91 is much nicer, but difficult to find and usually pricey though I'm not the LD playback is even as good as the 704 era.

Some of the typical step up features other than things like Video Noise level general construction to consider with lines:
2 sided play, ability to freeze frame CLV discs, AC-3 capability (unless you have an older receiver you'd also need a converter).

remelyer

Auditioning
Real Name
remelyer

onderful post from an expert and it will be a fantastic knowledge to us and thank you very much for sharing this valuable information with us.

onderful post from an expert and it will be a fantastic knowledge to us and thank you very much for sharing this valuable information with us.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It's worth remembering that Pioneer sold a lot of players to other manufacturers to sell on under their badges. I have a Mitsubishi M-V7057, for example, which is essentially identical to the Pioneer CLD-D704, but has a blue display instead of amber, & the arrangement of the controls I find a little nicer (no little gold buttons). These may be cheaper on eBay or so forth than the Pioneer-badged ones.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Definitely agree on that -- t like my 7057 cosmetics much better than the 704.

The multivoltage import version of the CLD99 is still my main player -- the champagne colored without the wood panels.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_elite_cld-99/pioneer_elite_cld-99.htm

The 3 pictures on the checkered couch near the top (and repeated at the bottom) are quite literally my player that I bought from Kurtis a few years ago. The small cracked side piece is a giveaway. I guess he took the pictures when he obtained it and uploaded it to the site.

williamc9

Auditioning
Real Name
william conklin
I have one it works great had it for 7years no problems and i was a KJ doing shows every weekend never let me down Now i use it on my flat screen 50" vizio and it looks great like it was HD... I have a lot od disney LD's for my grandkids.. i'd say its worth buying, id go $100.00 no more I mean it is old...mine just broke but not units fault my grand daughter ( 3 years old) decided it didnt need its tray no more so she ripped it out now i have to put it back but i need to get the steps to realign it with the gears. any Idea's anyone>>??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks