What's new

Question about KILL BILL (1 Viewer)

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Personally, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Kill Bill will only be uncut on the Jap DVD.
You can blame both the mpaa and Miramax/Disney on that one... It's the same reason you have to import the Japanese DVD of Scream if you want the uncut version.
I also find it funny though that the mpaa would request cuts on Kill Bill which is over the top tongue in cheek but a moody gorefest like Wrong Turn gets an R unscathed. Not that I'm complaining about Wrong Turn, awesome movie... lol

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I also find it funny though that the mpaa would request cuts on Kill Bill which is over the top tongue in cheek but a moody gorefest like Wrong Turn gets an R unscathed.
Did the MPAA actually request any cuts on Kill Bill to achieve an R rating? I read that Tarantino decided to the Crazy 88 fight sequence in B&W on his own, not at the suggestion of the MPAA.

DJ

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Did the MPAA actually request any cuts on Kill Bill to achieve an R rating? I read that Tarantino decided to the Crazy 88 fight sequence in B&W on his own, not at the suggestion of the MPAA.
No cuts were requested, but QT deliberately made creative choices, like the B7W or the anime, in order to get elements through that might otherwise cause the MPAA to request cuts.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
Check the sanitized bloodless trailers as well
Trailers in major theaters are always approved for "General Audiences". That would give it about a PG rating.

There is no question Americans have a high tolerance for violence on screen. The ratings system was designed to inform people of potentially uncomfortable movie experiences. I like the idea of an "R-17" rating, like "PG-13", which would give parents a real understanding of a movie.

In the case of Kill Bill though, Tarantino is as much to blame as the MPAA for the American-ized version.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Personally, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Kill Bill will only be uncut on the Jap DVD. The arrogance of everyone involved in that decision astounds me.
Yeah, this is absolutely ridiculous that we can't get a directors/uncut version of this film. I would much rather have a color version of the Crazy88 fight.
I have never really looked into multi region players or dvd's. I might now have a REAL big reason to get a multi region player. The question I have is, is there any difference in quality? Picture, sound. Is there any quality difference between multi region dvd's?

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

Absolutely. I remember when Weinstein said that Tarantino basically had carte blanche to do what he wanted with 'Kill Bill'.

Obviously that didn't extend to the Disney people thinking that I might confuse an unrated movie with 'The Lion King'.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

In many cases the foreign discs can have better video quality! There are a few discs (office space, Brazillian edition) that are anamorphic while R1 is stuck with a letterbox edition. Of course, there are also some movies where the non R1 discs have worse video quality. And of course there are other trade offs! Case in point: I have two versions of Malena (a film I love), the R1 and the Korean R3. The R1 disc has a nice transfer, but is cut by 10 minutes and exhibits some croping and what appears to be a subtle verticle stretching (at least as compared to the Korean disc where you see a bit more image and people's faces look a bit wider) ! The R3 disc has an inferior transfer (nothing sickening, but the colors are redish and over saturated), but is the film as it was released in Italy (the country of origin).

An excellent site for comparing foreign and domestic releases is:
http://compare.dvdbeaver.com/

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
R2 Japanese titles are almost always higher quality than R1 USA releases. You will pay the price though... they usually have between 3800JY [~$35USD] and 5800JY [~$54USD] MSRPs. And, even with the biggest titles, the biggest discount you can get is 10-15%.

Just gotta be careful to get discs with subtitles if you can't speak Japanese on anime/live-action J titles though ;)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm grateful for this thread, I will wait for import DVD news. When I saw the film theatrically last weekend, when it went into black & white the first thought that came to mind immediatley was "they did this to get past the censors."

Did they also remove the blood from the snow on which the Bride was laying in her duel with the Charlie's Angel(her back was completely bloody, she's laying on the snow, then she gets up and the snow is lilly-white)?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it was kinda odd that there was no blood shown in the snow except for the final slice. I did notice on subsequent viewings that when the lights come back on after the silhouette fight on the upper level the walls, ceilings and light fixtures are all covered in blood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks