1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

question about gold tipped coax

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Milillo, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Mike Milillo

Mike Milillo Stunt Coordinator

I was at radio shack today and did not get the answer to a question I had. I had to pick up some coax to run from my splitter to my digital cable box. I picked up some gold tipped cable. However, my question is, what is the advantage of using gold tipped cable to go to your cable box. I mean, it's not like I could go out on the street and refit all the connections to my house with gold tip. Basically, my question is, isn't the problem really at the weakest link. I can do all I want inside my house, but, if they don't use this stuff outside the house, why bother inside? Or, what I think might be my answer, maybe this gold tipped cable is used for your connection between the box and the television. For that application I use s-video. Please help, or did I already answer my own question?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

that's actually kind of cute. the gold doesn't oxidize and it eliminates one of the reasons why pictures may get funny after a while which is the copper on the coax oxidizing and affecting the signal. Copper is a fairly reactive metal...look at your pipe, pots, copper roof flashing. The reaction products typically have poor conductivity.
    Now of course...what about the the connector the wire plugged into [​IMG]

3. Mike Milillo

Yeah, I understand that. My question was, if you can't change the whole line back to the cable central office, what's the point? Or is this suppossed to be used to connect your cable box to the television?

4. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

I'd say it just doesn't hurt to try to salvage a little quality, besides your cable'll last longer because gold doesn't corrode. I have a feeling that the cable line going to the cable office is gonna be high quality and well protected with as few connections as possible. I mean, the cable people aught to know a thing or two about cabling themselves.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'd think it'd be a useful product. You could certainly use it to hook up the tv to the box, or from any splitters. Connection problems often lead people towards looking at 'audiophile' type wires and cable. One can clean a connection using a variety of commercial products like regular old copper cleaner or stuff from Caig for example. I think the gold coating is a pretty cute idea.

6. Mike Milillo

ok, thanks guys.