What's new

Question about getting 5.1 audio via Laptop HDMI output .. (1 Viewer)

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Hi guys .. I have a question here, and I'm not really sure if my laptop drivers are at fault, or is my general home theater system setup at fault ..
I have a Sony F13 laptop, which I connect to my Sony BRAVIA 46EX720 to watch movies on the big screen ... This 46EX720 is then connected to a Sony DAV-DZ640K Home Theater System, via a HDMI Audio Return cable ..
Now, when I connect my PC to my 46EX720 HDTV via a HDMI cable, I only get 2 audio channels, as can be seen here:
57e96511_8kVw4.png

But ... My PS3 and Xbox 360 detect 5.1 audio, and they also connect more or less in the same way
PS3 46EX720 DAV-DZ640K
Xbox 360 46EX720 DAV-DZ640K
So I'm not sure if my Laptop is at fault, for not detecting 5.1 channels, or is my TV at fault, for not telling the Laptop that it can only support 2 audio channels, whereas it can actually support 5.1 too, because its itself sending all audio data to a home theater system its connected to ..
For my PC, I have tried 3 sets of audio drivers:
1) the latest NVidia Graphics Drivers (which also install the NVida HD Audio Drivers)
2) the Realtek HD Audio drivers from my Laptop's manufacturer's (Sony) site
3) the Realtek HD Audio drivers from Realtek's website
On all three, upon connecting the laptop to EX46720, I only get 2 audio channels in stereo formation ...
So what's at fault here ? Any ideas ?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
When i consider the notoriously poor quality of laptop audio (i use an outboard usb DAC from my dell) i have to ask, are you positive your laptop's hdmi output actually supports full 5.1 audio?

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Well to be honest, I dont know with 100% certainty, but I am virtually sure that it should support 5.1 audio output via HDMI ... these days you can buy a usb dongle that can give you a 5.1 audio output for like a few bucks, and my laptop is a very recent gaming laptop, with features such as a high end graphcis card, a bluray writer and a 1080p screen, so I would actually be very surprised if 5.1 audio via HDMI output is not available to me ..
However, having said all that, is there any way to check this to just make sure, without contacting the manufacturer (I hate speaking to customer service, but 99% of the time they are absolutely useless!) ?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Yeah that makes perfect sense, youd think a gaming laptop would support 5.1 out. Before suffering cs I would connect the laptop hdmi direct to your processor and spin a 5.1 source. Does the processor show 5.1 during playback?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
And i would be amazed if you tv's arc does not support 5.1, did you go through your tv settings and verify if 5.1 or 2 is selectable?

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Well I just tried connecting my laptop directly to the amplifier .. and nothing happened .. The laptop didn't detect anything ..
I guess this makes sense because the amplifier I have only has 1 HDMI port, and its NOT meant for accepting video HDMI input .. its only for accepting audio HDMI input, and outputing a video HDMI output ...

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Type A said:
And i would be amazed if you tv's arc does not support 5.1, did you go through your tv settings and verify if 5.1 or 2 is selectable?
Those setting are present in my home theater's menu, where I can customize the speakers I want to activate, etc .. on the TV, I can only specify if I want to use the TV's speakers, or the audio system .. if the audio system is selected, majority of all audio controls are disabled on the TV, as the TV assumes these things are now managed by the audio system ..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your TV only outputs 5.1 via OTA...
Says it right in your manual.
So, if you want 5.1 off your laptop, time to upgrade your audio system.

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
^^ OTA, as in Over the Air ?! .. How is that relevant in this scenario ?
What kind of an upgrade do you have in mind ? Minimal expense please, as I'm otherwise completely happy with my existing setup ..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is relevant because in your OWNERS MANUAL...
The only thing AUDIO that leaves the TV in 5.1 is OTA.
Is your laptop HDMI into the TV, to leave the TV, OTA?
Nope. OTA is OTA.
You need an HDMI audio device to take the audio directly off the laptop.
Does the relevance make sense now?
And your upgrade is "anything that takes audio off HDMI directly from your laptop".

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
uh, actually no ... I'm still confused :p
What are you referring to as 'OTA' ? .. What does 'OTA' mean ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
OTA=Over The Air. OTA also(by default) includes cable connected to the 75ohm connector on the back of the set.
You aren't using the 75ohm connecter. You are using HDMI.
IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL IT STATES ALL OTHER INPUTS EXIT THE TV IN 2.0.
Period.
So, you can NOT, period, get 5.1 off your computer connecting HDMI to the TV. Period.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way. I'm looking at your audio system now. It does have a digital input.
Time to buy one of these to connect your PS3 and Laptop to it, then it to your audio system and TV. It is the ONLY WAY to get 5.1 digital out of your stereo system. You could have already connected your PS3 to it(IE HDMI to the TV, digital toslink to the DAV).
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346075362&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+switch+optical
However, I have no idea what you can purchase where you are. I know you can get these things. You need to CHECK the ones you can get for 2.0 or 5.1 from the optical/digital coax output. Just because it has an optical/coax output for audio does NOT guarantee it is 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks