What's new

Question about DOCTOR DOLITTLE 1967 German bluray (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It is region B only. A better region coding for this German Blu-ray would be for it to play in no regions - it's one of the ugliest transfers I've ever seen - completely brown, muddy, soft and looking nothing like it should. Other than that, it's Doctor Dolittle. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/317365/question-about-doctor-dolittle-1967-german-bluray#post_3883893

It's awful to contemplate that we might get this same Blu-ray transfer here at some point this year. The DVD looks quite marvelous, so I was hoping for a spectacular Blu-ray. Most discouraging if this is the fate that awaits a U.S. release.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/317365/question-about-doctor-dolittle-1967-german-bluray#post_3883893

Thanks for confirming this. I had heard that it was a very poor transfer, but needed an expert to confirm. I hope Fox loses the transfer before they release the title in the states.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
A better region coding for this German Blu-ray would be for it to play in no regions - it's one of the ugliest transfers I've ever seen - completely brown, muddy, soft and looking nothing like it should. Other than that, it's Doctor Dolittle. :)
That made my day :) This one is very high on my list of Blu-Ray large format blunders and only a notch below El Cid, Spartacus and Fall of the Roman Empire imo. I give the people who released it credit for not trying to make it prettier with boosted colors and noise reduction but that is about it. There is also a release from the same company of Legend of the Lost that is definitely from the same master as the HD airing on MGM HD but as expected it looks a bit better.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I suspect that when Fox gets around to this they will do it right here. I'm sure that in Germany they used some ancient transfer they had sitting around - it looks nothing like the DVD Fox released here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
From your description, it sounds quite a bit like that abominable transfer of the Todd-AO Oklahoma! that Fox gave us several years ago. That was a nightmare, too.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Another of those weird conincidences for me! The price of the most recent 'M' (member Torsten Kaiser had a hand in the restoration) just dropped at Amazon.de, so I was going to use this as an excuse to also pick up wish list items 'Die Sunderin' and 'Doctor Dolittle'. That nasty 14Euro standard shipping rate prevented me from hitting the 'buy' button a mere hour ago..........thank heaven! Then I see this thread! Dropping Dolittle (seems like another 'One Eyed Jacks' job) means I'll have to wait even longer to build up a want list to amortize the shipping cost.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I saw Dolittle in TODD-AO at the United Artists theater in Detroit when it first came out and the TODD-AO picture was something to behold. A proper bluray transfer from 65mm elements should produce quite an impressive image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks