1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about DOCTOR DOLITTLE 1967 German bluray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by trajan, Jan 1, 2012.

1. trajan

trajan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this will play on region 1 players?

2. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    It is region B only. A better region coding for this German Blu-ray would be for it to play in no regions - it's one of the ugliest transfers I've ever seen - completely brown, muddy, soft and looking nothing like it should. Other than that, it's Doctor Dolittle. :)

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

It's awful to contemplate that we might get this same Blu-ray transfer here at some point this year. The DVD looks quite marvelous, so I was hoping for a spectacular Blu-ray. Most discouraging if this is the fate that awaits a U.S. release.

4. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen

Thanks for confirming this. I had heard that it was a very poor transfer, but needed an expert to confirm. I hope Fox loses the transfer before they release the title in the states.

5. OliverK

OliverK Well-Known Member

That made my day :) This one is very high on my list of Blu-Ray large format blunders and only a notch below El Cid, Spartacus and Fall of the Roman Empire imo. I give the people who released it credit for not trying to make it prettier with boosted colors and noise reduction but that is about it. There is also a release from the same company of Legend of the Lost that is definitely from the same master as the HD airing on MGM HD but as expected it looks a bit better.

6. haineshisway

Bruce
    I suspect that when Fox gets around to this they will do it right here. I'm sure that in Germany they used some ancient transfer they had sitting around - it looks nothing like the DVD Fox released here.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    From your description, it sounds quite a bit like that abominable transfer of the Todd-AO Oklahoma! that Fox gave us several years ago. That was a nightmare, too.

8. haineshisway

Bruce
    Oh, this is MUCH worse :)

9. marsnkc

marsnkc Well-Known Member

Andrew
    Another of those weird conincidences for me! The price of the most recent 'M' (member Torsten Kaiser had a hand in the restoration) just dropped at Amazon.de, so I was going to use this as an excuse to also pick up wish list items 'Die Sunderin' and 'Doctor Dolittle'. That nasty 14Euro standard shipping rate prevented me from hitting the 'buy' button a mere hour ago..........thank heaven! Then I see this thread! Dropping Dolittle (seems like another 'One Eyed Jacks' job) means I'll have to wait even longer to build up a want list to amortize the shipping cost.

10. trajan

trajan Well-Known Member

I saw Dolittle in TODD-AO at the United Artists theater in Detroit when it first came out and the TODD-AO picture was something to behold. A proper bluray transfer from 65mm elements should produce quite an impressive image.