What's new

Question about delivery time on preordered DVD's (1 Viewer)

David Wyckoff

Auditioning
Hi,
Just a quick question. I've never pre-ordered DVD's on amazon (usually buy at Best Buy) and was thinking about doing so for the Star Wars trilogy as I'm going to be out of town the release week and would like to crack them open as soon as I get home. When do the preorders on amazon get mailed out? Is it not until the actual release date or a few days earlier so they arrive at the homes on the release date? Or is there a certain shipping selection you have to make (ie not supersaver for free) to get it on time?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
90% of the time they are shipped on the release date, I believe, because otherwise the company could withdraw their products from Amazon (no company is stupid enough to do that, but Amazon could get in trouble for it).

I use SuperSaver Free shipping always, but someone said that their Survivor All Stars DVD with regular shipping has already been sent out--although that could have to do with the release date being postponed from August 31.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I always do the free shipping option because it's free, and because it takes no longer than the 3-5 day shipping option (I'm guessing this has to do with my location to the distribution center).

The shipping day widely varies. Sometimes they'll send a new release out as early as the Thursday before release, sometimes they don't send it until the release day. Thus, the delivery date ranges from the Monday before to the Friday after.

David Wyckoff

Auditioning
The estimated shipping date for regular shipping is sept 20, for super saver free it's sept 27. What's up with that?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
My Amazon pre-orders usually ship on release date. 99% of the time I don't "need" to have something on release date so it's no big deal.

Other e-tailers regularly ship the Wed/Thurs before release date. I just buy from whoever has the best price.

Steve

MichaelPR

Second Unit
go with digitaleyes and go with usps. It will ship on Wed or thursday and youll get it that saturday or tuesday at the latest. I have been using them for a bit and I always get it on or before release date and they also have coupons that will counter the cost of shipping.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Huh?

I did the free shipping and this is what it's telling me:

Shipping estimate: September 21, 2004
Delivery estimate: September 23, 2004 - September 24, 2004

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
This is THE title that has been at the top of many people's "can't wait" DVDs. I would guess that Amazon is giving preferential treatment to those that pay extra for shipping. Since it's over the dollar limit for free shipping, EVERYONE would order it that way if they knew for a fact that it was being shipped the previous week. I wonder if Lucas has some sort of restriction of when the earliest date is that they can be shipped. He had a restriction on when reviews could be posted, for crying out loud!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I order with Amazon's free shipping, and usually receive releases by Thursday (two days after release date). That's fine with me, since I usually do not have time to watch anything until the weekend, anyway.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I almost exclusively buy my DVDs from Amazon, and always use the free shipping option. For me, most of my shipments are sent on Sunday and I receive them Tuesday or Wednessday. Case in point, I had 4 packages with 09/07 releases come in yesterday, however the first was mailed on 09/05, two others on 09/06, and the fourth one on 09/07. All came yesterday together, on 09/08.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone ever have problems with discs off their hubs, or damaged cases? I always buy my DVDs in a store for this very reason...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Lasers Edge most always gets titles shipped by or just
before street date. They strive to get titles to
the door on time.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
99% of my online DVDs come from DVD Empire & I've had only 2 or 3 out 1000+!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Rarely, except for the Universal "Monster Legacy" series packaging fiasco, where it took me four shipments before I was able to get unscratched discs for all three items -- Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman. I consider this more the fault of Universal than the etailers, though, since this was a widespread problem with the packaging on these titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks