What's new

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (1 Viewer)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
The girlfriend was so bad! And all the guys picked up on it! I loved the snarky "and the old dave wouldn't put poison in your fish either" comment!

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> something about a bunch of guys and no one knows which one is gay.

There was a big thread about that a couple months ago.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
She said something about how she thought they would make him into some kind of corporate guy in a suit (or something like that). Carson's comment: "What, did she think we're 5 gay guys from IBM?" :D

/Mike

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
For those that didn't know, NBC will be airing a half hour version of the Butch/Brian episode tonight after Will and Grace. This is a part of what USA Today had to say about the abbreviated version.

In truth, some of the charm of the hour-long original is lost in tonight's cut-down half-hour, which stresses insults over advice. Still, the essential sweetness of the project comes through, particularly at the end, where the gay men cluck like proud parents at their charge.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
In truth, some of the charm of the hour-long original is lost...
that's what i was thinking. i didn't think they could get enough of the setup stuff done in just 30 minutes. it just doesn't seem like it would work as well.

btw - anyone know how budgeting typically works on these shows? i'm assuming the "client" doesn't have to pay for all that stuff they get? some of that stuff looks expensive! they always announce the name of the store or product - maybe the stores give away the stuff (or discounts) in exchange for free advertising?

heck, i'd sign up just to get the nice stuff!

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Not having Bravo in my cable lineup, the half-hour NBC version last night was all I've gotten to see of this. I enjoyed it, but it certainly seemed rushed. I think I'd prefer the hour-long version.

i've known some gay guys who could use some help from these gay guys.
That would be me. My friends and I always joke about what a bad gay man I am! I don't think there are any of the gay stereotypes that fit me well.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Hell, Id help you out Dave but don't know where you live. Had to help out my Partner because when I met him he had no fashion sense.
He does pretty good now.

I watched the half hour version last night and not quite as fun as the Hour long.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I thought the editors for the NBC version did as well as they could given the time restraints. Some really good stuff was left out (Kyan's rap) but overall I feel the tone of the show was left intact (although a bit rushed).

MattGentry

Second Unit
I absolutely LOVE this show. It is amazing. And yes...I am a straight guy. I do actually wonder if I'm gay at times, because I do consider myself to have great fashion sense (as do every one of my girl friends), and I know culture, food, and love to do interior decorating. Everything that they did on the show I've wanted to do to my parents home, as they have verryyyyyyy little sense of design. All in all, this is a hit with me and I will watch as long as they air it.

About the episode with Lisa, was anyone else thinking that she was giving John (was it John) absolutely NO credit. I mean, when he asked to take her coat and she said, "did the Fab 5 teach you that?" and he said "no." She proceeded to say, "yes they did, no way you did that on your own." I mean, c'mon...he's a good guy, he knows what he's doing. Stop being such a b**ch.

Also about that episode...anyone else here LOVE John's hair? I mean, after he got it cut I was thinking "damn, that looks amazing." Looked very Hugh Jackman as Van Helsing. Simply great.

Favorite Line:

Lisa: "Dude, you look f**king hot."
Carson: "When Lisa's not driving big rigs she enjoys..."

Carson, great. The Fab Five is amazing.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
About the episode with Lisa, was anyone else thinking that she was giving John (was it John) absolutely NO credit.
my girlfriend and i also thought (sorta) the same thing. she was really kinda bitchy...i think she struck the wrong kind of chord with a lot of people.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I think the guys could tell Lisa was a little b!tchy and that was why they were more hard on her than anyone so far.

I caught the whole "Artist" episode yesterday and while the editors did a good job with the half hour show, there was a lot of funny things left out. Kyan was thrilled when Butch did his hair correctly, and Thom did an outstanding job with that dump. The Fab 5's comments on the underwear, guests coming over, the prison bed, etc. were great.

Carson is so FREAKING funny, and it's great b/c he is quick witted and smart, his stuff is not written(it might be who knows).

Carson - "Now show me on the doll where the bad man touched you." I laughed my ass off on that one.

Thom to Butch re Carson - "You better tuck that pocket in before he does."

Carson - "This is the Gap in 85, Gap in 86...."

Carson - "I am going to take out my aggression on this heavy bag; I hated that collection, take that."

Carson - "Do you buy are your clothes at the Home Depot?"

Lee L

Supporting Actor
That Lisa is a nasty mean person, I can;t imagine wanting to move in with her and have to deal with that 24x7.

Some of the tips are pretty good. I always shave in the shower, after I'm done with everything else, but I tried the tip about shaving your chin last and it was much more comfortable and a better shave to boot. Seems very logical but I never thought about it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
My wife and I have really enjoy this show. I thought last weeks with Lisa was great but I agree I wouldn't want to live with THAT 24/7.

I can see why NBC is adding it after Will and Grace (they do own Bravo) but editing it down is a bad idea. The one hour version is a lot better over all.

Does anyone else though get the idea that every show is going to have a guy that really needs a shave and haircut? And that they have no clothes other than what they have worn since college and their house/apartment is going to be a huge mess with food, clothes, etc. lying around all over the place?

I would also like to see how these guys are doing 6 months or a year after they showed up at their doorstep and see if they have reverted back to their old ways.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I loved it when they found food under the dude's couch. Carson was on fire in that episode. I really think he was smitten with him since he flirted non-stop.

(Carson pulls out a thong from the pile of clothes) "I don't remember being here drunk.":laugh:

I would be surprised if anyone doesn't revert back to their old self in six months. Old dog, new tricks and such. The people in these three episodes were slobs. You can't reprogram that overnight. However,I don't think they would walk away from the experience unchanged. They will pick up a couple of tips that they liked and found more convenient.

I do hope they do some episodes where they re-visit some of these folks in six months. I really want to see if that one guy grows back his unibrow.

I find it funny that some NBC affiliates are not running the show and some are not airing it in prime time.

p.s.--Jai Rodriguez was on the credits for Culture but it was the other guy (can't find his name) again. Anybody know the story of why they disowned that guy?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would let them make over my house as long as they don't mess with the HT stuff.
The people that inveriably messes with HT stuff are the designers on Trading Spaces. They hide the equipment whenever possible, like HT is the plague. I remember one of the desingers putting speakers in shelves on their sides, without any regards to whether they were ported.

I think these guys would appreciate a good HT system. As soon as Lisa spoke her first words, I thought, she is not worth this.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Tomorrow's should be interesting since one of the guy's past jobs was male stripper. :D

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I do hope they do some episodes where they re-visit some of these folks in six months. I really want to see if that one guy grows back his unibrow.
Yes, if the show continues to succeed, this is a natural revisit. The way these guys keep there places you have to believe they will revert back.

As for the "Great Neck Unibrow" ep, the guy was an obvious slob, but what was the wife's excuse for having that house look like a disaster?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Anyone know when the first episode "butch" will air agian?
Sorry, it seems to have just rerun this morning at 11:00 ET. Try check out the BRAVO site's schedule -- they have a grid which lists the exact show and "subject" of the reruns.

http://www.bravotv.com/Schedule/

I checked through July, and episode 1 is not slated again yet. I don't think August is up yet, but you could check back later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks